What power steering fluid for 2005 Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
My power steering pump in my 05 Explorer 4.6L V8 is starting to howl it's displeasure on a cold start at near zero temperature.
It doesn't do it when warm.
I thought I would change the fluid but the owners manual says to use Mercon ATF, but Ford now sells Mercon V as power steering fluid. It also warns not to mix the two kinds.
So, which one should I use?
And, which way to change it, siphon pump the reservoir and replace with new a few times, or let the pump pump it out and replace as it goes?

I'm sure others with direct experience will comment but Mercon V is Mercon V; Chrysler does the same thing rebranding ATF+4 as a power steering fluid, but the two are identical.

I'd siphon it a few times, its easier then fiddling to remove the lines, just takes more time.

I believe you use Mercon transmission fluid.

Yeah siphon it out, go drive around, give it a good lock-to-lock a few times. Then repeat until the specified amount of fluid has been replaced.

Use Mercon V as it replaces Mercon. The two are compatible, my bottle of Mercon V says: "Use in transmissions and power steering systems previously serviced with Mercon". I've used it in my Mercon-spec'd 2005 power steering and transmission and all's well.

In the "olden" days, there was a difference between plain Mercon and Mercon V that made them incompatible in some instances. When Ford stopped licensing plain Mercon, there was a formulation change to Mercon V that made it compatible. (I believe I read that here) Any Mercon V produced in the last 4-5 years should be usable in either application.

As I already posted today, M1 ATF works graet in all temps, extreme hot, cold. No PS whine and I turkey baster mine every engine oil change. Never had a pump or trans failure.YET!

Follow your manual. Everyone has an opinion, don't second guess the engineers who designed it.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Follow your manual. Everyone has an opinion, don't second guess the engineers who designed it.

Since the recommended fluid is no longer supplied by Ford, you are wrong.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

The engineers say ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back