Honda Green Oil - ultra thin 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is dated 2009 so I guess it's old news, but I only just discovered it. They claim it's thinner than other 0w-20 oils:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19442

Honda_Ultra_Green_Oil.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I remember reading that the Insight was going to get a 0w15 factory fill or something like that.

Motul 300V is now available as 0w15.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
But how much thinner? With no reference marks on the y-axis, this graph doesn't provide a whole lot of useful info.

Maybe someone who can read Japanese can clarify...

Originally Posted By: Umibozu
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
But how much thinner? With no reference marks on the y-axis, this graph doesn't provide a whole lot of useful info.

Maybe someone who can read Japanese can clarify...

The vertical axis of the graph goes from sara-sara at the bottom to doro-doro at the top

Yes I first posted the Honda Ultra Green back in 2009:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1732338&page=1

This oil is a sub 2.6cP HTHSV version of the ultra high VI 0W-20s. It has been the FF on a number Japanese made Hondas such as the Insight and Fit for the past few years.
It is likely the same oil as the newly approved SAE grade 16 meaning the minimum HTHSV will be 2.3cP and apparently Honda will be releasing an OEM 0W-16 oil for service fill in a number of models later this year.

Just like most 5W-20s formulations are just the 5W-30 with less VIIs resulting in a lighter but also lower VI oil the same situation will likely be the case with the new 0W-16 grade; namely based on an existing high VI 0W-20 formulation but with less VIIs resulting in a HTHSV 2.3cP oil but I suspect with a VI under 200.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Originally Posted By: dparm
Motul 300V is now available as 0w15.
That's racing oil. Is it okay for street cars? It probably lacks detergents.

No is a "streetable" racing oil with plenty of detergents.

The Sprint 300V 0W-15 is lighter than the 0W-16 "Ultra Green" at least in terms of it's HTHSV of 2.1cP but it doesn't have a very high VI (155) so it's not as light as you'd think on a cold start-up. In fact the Sustina 0W-20 (229 VI) is undoubtedly lighter at temp's below 50F.
It will be interesting to see what the actual spec's are of the new Honda 0W-16 grade when it becomes available, but if it's VI is anywhere near 200 then it should prove lighter than the Motul Sprint 300V 0W-15 on start-up (where it matters most) and not much if any heavier at low normal operating temp's.

Posts using Google translation, sorry. Little information in Japan.

The lineup in November last year the "Ultra NEXT" Honda of Japan.
This oil is an ultra low viscosity oil as well as "ultra-green".
http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-parts/oil/

This oil has been described as excellent fuel economy than the Ultra Green.
The difference between the "Ultra Green" does not know.
However, I expected to be in the range of SAE16 probably the same as the Ultra Green.
It is now specified that only Kei car N-ONE (NA model).
To specify the ultra green car (except for the N-ONE) that can not be used.
Currently supply only the pail. It is a special oil.

Just as an aside, why did the SAE settle on 16 for the 0W-16 grade? Wouldn't 15 be a nice even number? Or even 10. Since the number is arbitrary, except that you know its relative position on the grade chart (30 is less than 40, but greater than 20), why did they choose an "off" sequence number like 16?

Yeah, we talked about this last year when info started to leak about these.

Technically there's nothing stopping a company from doing something like 0w15. I think some motorcycle fork oils are like 7.5W.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Just as an aside, why did the SAE settle on 16 for the 0W-16 grade? Wouldn't 15 be a nice even number? Or even 10. Since the number is arbitrary, except that you know its relative position on the grade chart (30 is less than 40, but greater than 20), why did they choose an "off" sequence number like 16?

Some one pointed out there are already oils with "15" on them, such as 15w40 HDEO's. It was thought perhaps the 16 was selected to avoid potential confusion with oil ignorant customers, which would unfortunately be the majority of off the shelf oil purchasers.

Made sense to me anyway.

I can only imagine how a 15w40 would work out in a new vehicle spec'd for 0w16!
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back