Need recommendations on a quiet 3"in/3"out muffler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of gathering parts to redo the exhaust on my truck. My goal is to build an exhaust that allows my new engine to breath much better than the 23 year old factory exhaust that's on its last leg.

I am going with a 3" single exhaust via a Flowmaster Y pipe.

I want a quiet muffler that flows well.

I am not into the loud stuff. Some truck guys feel as if it's not a real truck if the exhaust isn't loud, but I'm not into loud exhausts at all. The quieter, the better and too quiet is not quiet enough.
smile.gif

I am currently considering Walker Quiet Flow, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for recommendations.

Any experiences/thoughts/recommendations on quiet high flow (or at least above stock flow) mufflers?

Walker Dynomax (and mandrel bent pipes if you can afford those).

Last edited:
Measure under the car for the largest dimensions you can fit. Buy the muffler with the most VOLUME (biggest internal dimensions).

Go for a chambered one. Avoid the straight-through/race models.

I'd have to go with the Walker recommendation as well- either QuietFlow or Dynomax. If the Dynomax turns out too loud for you, you could always add a small resonator (even something like a single-chamber Flowmaster) in the tailpipe the way early Gen III Ram trucks did. I don't like Flowmasters as the primary muffler. The sound is too 'hollow' and breathy for me, not enough low frequency rumble and too much loud blathery sound. But I've heard them used to good effect as resonators

I like a bit of a v8 rumble in a daily driver, but not loud. I find the factory system on my 08 Ram to be just about right, maybe just a tick on the too-quiet side. My 69 R/T has dual Magnaflows, and they're a very interesting muffler- they're quiet but beefy at idle and low power, but whenever you really open the throttle, its as if the sound "breaks through" the muffler and they get LOUD and very rappy. Its not RPM dependent, its throttle dependent. Even at low RPM they're loud if you have the throttle pegged and are lugging. Bottom line, I absolutely love them for an occasionally-driven muscle car, but I absolutely would not want them in a daily driver!

I've had both the Quiet Flow and the Dynomax Super Turbo. The Quiet Flow sounds stock, the Super Turbo is slightly deeper than stock, but still very tolerable and flows better. If you want completely quiet though I would recommend the Quiet Flow.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I'd be looking for a SYSTEM designed for that truck, as exhaust system design isn't as simple as it looks.

I disagree for this application. Modern cars you want a system due to the complex bends in the pipes, the many cat convertors, etc. On older cars, the complete systems are way over priced. For example, the Magnaflow system for my 2000 Cherokee is over $500. That only includes a muffler and tail pipe. I could buy the same muffler for $80 (same part number) and have any local shop bend some stainless pipe for me for under $250 installed. Probably less.

I've got a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler on my 2001 4cyl S-10. It's a little deeper than stock, and if you keep the original tailpipe exiting behind the rear tire (like I did) it's really not that loud of a muffler.

If you don't mind a muffler that's a little deeper than stock, then I would definitely recommend the Dynomax Super Turbo.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Measure under the car for the largest dimensions you can fit. Buy the muffler with the most VOLUME (biggest internal dimensions).

Great advice.
specifically designed total systems are available, but bring money! Stainless is an option.
Integrate your projected life of the vehicle, realistically.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Part1 yes
Part2 Yes if noise is #1 concern

Do as above and add the biggest resonator you can and you'll be in business.
From reading and listening to exhausts:
straight through, perforated core (NOT LOUVERED CORE), stainless stuffed mufflers
Same but without stuffing for resonators

Look into Magnaflow Universal mufflers. They are a straight-through design (very low restriction), but if you buy a very large one it will be quiet. With your goal in mind, I'd buy the largest one that will fit. Their 5"x8"x24" oval or 5"x11"x22" oval would probably do quite nicely.

Is your truck the Ford F-150 in your signature?
If so, you will be too big with the exhaust and lose low end torque. Come off the Y-pipe about 12" to 14" with 3" and reduce to no bigger than 2 1/2". Take that 2 1/2" into/out of muffler.
Then where ever it will fit, make the last 12"-18" of the tailpipe 2 1/4". You WILL GAIN torque over stock system and it will be quiet.
As gasses cool leaving engine they slow down, to keep velocity up you have to reduce, to a point, diameter of tailpipe.
This for a nice quiet torquey "street" exhaust.
Use any kind of a turbo-style muffler and you will be more than happy with your exhaust.

The diversity of suggestions is amazing ;-) But one thing seems to be common: maximize the SIZE of the primary muffler. Add a small muffler as a resonator. Good, sound (pun intended) advice.
wink.gif

I also agree with Jeepman- don't waste time on a "system" for a truck of that vintage and an engine you've modified anyway. Design your own system to suit the engine.

You need to find a pipe bending artist in your area.

I have had great luck going to car shows and asking some of the owners where they get their exhaust work done.

My current guy let me test drive 3 different mufflers on my son's car before we actually settled on one brand!

Note that many mufflers change their tone quite a bit over time. I've had more than one system that was nice and quiet when new but developed quite a bark later on after some miles.

Lots of good suggestions on mufflers and quite a bit to consider. I'll definitely keep in mind that the larger size mufflers are what I'm looking for.

Overall, my intent is to build my exhaust from front to back. It will be 100% mandrel bent.

The engine is very much modified and puts out quite a bit more HP/TQ than it did stock and I'm looking to put together an exhaust that compliments the engine.

In general more muffler volume means lower exhaust volume. Other things equal, like construction type, etc.

I had a Dynomax Super Turbo on my '97 Dakota with the 5.2L V8. From what you're saying (even quiet is too loud), the Super Turbo (and most other performance mufflers) will be too loud. I think the Quiet Flow you have identified will be your best bet. Some of the quietest mufflers you'll find (and the most restrictive) are the OEM replacements (usually through Walker) that you can get from Advance, Rock Auto, etc.

The Dynomax Super Turbo is likely one of the quieter mufflers that will also complement your engine. It has a nice tone to it and shouldn't have any drone. The suggestion by someone else to run two units, one as a muffler and one as a resonator, is a good one. The resonator would allow you to tune the exhaust note a little more, but they'd probably have to be somewhat close together under the cab/bed, if you're going to split the exhaust foreward of the rear axle as most dual systems on trucks do.

I've listened to quite a few Dynomax Super Turbo clips on YouTube and I am impressed with the sound quality. To me, it's very quiet.

If it has an ever so slight rumble to it that's not audible with the windows up, I can live with that. Especially if there's a performance gain involved.

It's just that loud "look at me I have a REAL truck" exhaust sound I'm trying to avoid at all costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back