Version of Windows not genuine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know why (and more so, how to fix it) I am getting a message in the lower right of the desktop that says:

Windows Vista (TM)
Build 6002
This copy of Windows is not genuine

The copy of Windows Vista came with the computer when I bought it in 2007. This message started appearing soon after (like within a day) I upgraded the memory from 1 to 2 Gig. Also getting a lot of stuck pages (especially on BITOG) where it is just there but won't scroll or right click to open pages. And then the other thing that is happening a lot since the memory upgrade is the "Oh, Snap!" error message in Google Chrome browser.

Last edited:
Do you have your product key?(from the green/hologram sticker that was either on the windows dvd package(if you built the system yourself), or on the case some where(if you bought the pc with vista installed?
From the Activating Windows FAQ:

Will I ever need to activate my current copy of Windows again?

Maybe. You might have to activate Windows again if:

You uninstall Windows on one computer and install it on another. During installation, enter the product key that came with your copy of Windows. If automatic activation fails, follow the instructions that walk you through activating Windows by phone. You will have 30 days to activate your copy of Windows.

You make a significant hardware change to your computer, such as upgrading the hard disk and memory at the same time. If a major hardware change requires activating Windows again, you will be notified and will have three days to activate your copy of Windows.

You reformat your hard disk. Reformatting erases your activation status. In this case, you’ll have 30 days to activate Windows again.

A virus infects your computer and deletes your activation status

If you have to activate Windows again, you don't need to buy a new product key.

To activate Windows on this computer, do the following:

Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clicking Activate Windows now. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Does the public have access to your computer? Someone could have taken a cell phone pic of your license sticker.

Have you run Memtest or any other memory checking program on your new RAM? It's possible you might have a bad stick or two, not knowing your new configuration. This *might* be causing your lag problems along with causing Windows to think that it's not legit. Memory upgrades very rarely cause the counterfeit error, but like the lottery, it could happen.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
your options are to get a legal copy (windows 7) , install a free operating system or put up with the problems

... or simply re-activating Windows Vista since it's a legit copy bought with a new computer.

Let's not over think this, guys.

I understand that you can call Microsoft's Windows activation 800 number and they almost always will simply re-activate you right over the phone after you explain the issue.

This happened to me after upgrading a hard drive. I found some instructions on Microsoft's site to make it go away. No need to buy a new copy or hack it in some way.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
There is a small program available ( google it) that will make this go away. I would then turn off automatic updates.

And why would you do that?

Or just contact MS and fill them in on what happened. There could be a bug in code somewhere. In the past when I've had some licensing issues following a hardware change they've been pretty helpful.

I have a desktop that i did a memory and hard drive upgrade and it says the same ,,It works fine no problems

I'll look for a product key. No the public does not see this computer. Have not run mem test but CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM shows 2 GB ram. Also shows windows is activated. Maybe I'll call Microsoft activation number. Computer is a lot faster now anyway. As long as nothing bad is going to happen I am not so concerned. I wouldn't mind a better OS but for the hassle of installing and the cost.

My parents' laptop with Windows XP keeps doing this. I used an XP OEM CD and the key on the bottom of the computer. I suspect the CAL was sold and used on another computer or something.

I have to manually disable (and delete) some entries and files for WGA after running windows updates. It's fustrating, but what can you do?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
your options are to get a legal copy (windows 7) , install a free operating system or put up with the problems

... or simply re-activating Windows Vista since it's a legit copy bought with a new computer.

Let's not over think this, guys.

This.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I understand that you can call Microsoft's Windows activation 800 number and they almost always will simply re-activate you right over the phone after you explain the issue.
+1 Especially if a hardware repair or upgrade is involved. Had to do it when I replaced a blown motherboard.

There is a small program available ( google it) that will make this go away. I would then turn off automatic updates.

Because that application circumvents MS's piracy protection, which MS does not allow (and is therefore against the law in countries where corporations make laws). Trying to perform an update of any sort will alert MS.

TallPaul, if you do not depend on any Windows-specific applications, you might be well served by taking a look at Ubuntu. http://ubuntu.com

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

Because that application circumvents MS's piracy protection, which MS does not allow (and is therefore against the law in countries where corporations make laws). Trying to perform an update of any sort will alert MS.

My point was, why is anyone suggesting doing anything to get around Windows activation? The OP has a valid copy if Windows! There is no reason at all why he should have to hack Vista or replace it with anything else to fix a re-activation issue.

Microsoft can fix it, and they should. They just need to be contacted first.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

TallPaul, if you do not depend on any Windows-specific applications, you might be well served by taking a look at Ubuntu. http://ubuntu.com

I'm far from being an OS genuius, but I'll second that. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 on my home computer (not this one) and it works like a dream. It's running on an old Compaq computer that's got to be 8 years old and was a WM cheapie at that. I simply maxed out the memory and it still beats a this home-built computer running Windows 7. Updates work like a charm also.
My daughter is majoring in computer science/engineering at college and has suddenly realized there are other operating systems out there. She is suddenly not the brain-washed Windows zombie that she used to be. (Nothing against Windows users, but she used to run Windows and would try nothing else) Suddenly she can't get enough of the other operating systems. 12.04 has lots of great features and you can't beat the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back