Who made Montgomery Wards snowblowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
monkeyS3010003_zpsb7b2ecca.jpg

monkeyS3010007_zps1cb66a1b.jpg

monkeyS3010004_zps26e3651d.jpg

monkeyS3010002_zps5922d160.jpg

Just dragged this beauty home. I traded four jackstands for it. Felt like I traded a microphone for a Cadillac. (reference) Yes, there really was someone on craigslist (where else?
laugh.gif
) who offered this hunk up wanting no cash, no interesting trades, only four jack stands for a pretty cherry 1988 ish Jetta he was fixing up. Naturally there were few takers who would separate from their tools but I felt no guilt, particularly since two were MVPs from Walmart and the other two were orange 3 ton deals from HF (like Critic maligned.) No matter for me: next time I need something from Advance I'll use a set of stands to put me over the coupon threshold. Anyway the trader was willing to put his life in the hands of some used stands from a guy he just met and the deal went through.
01.gif

Was stored outside and the tecumseh motor on it froze up. I must assume it wasn't the original motor from the extra holes drilled in the deck for its mounting screws, and from the washers used as shims on its output shaft so the pulley would line up. No matter. My HF engine bolted right up.

PO's theory was it was from 1976, but I'm not sure how he assumed that. The existing, and probably wrong, engine had its shields off and scattered around so I don't have serial numbers off them. Hoping someone recognizes the auger gearbox or other clues. Seems like a decent machine with obvious and large bearings supporting the auger's axle. Got it rigged up, running, and blowing and it seems like a sturdy little devil.

The model number beginning with TMO indicates it's an MTD. Many Wards snowblowers were made by Gilson, (which was bought by Lawn Boy and then Toro) they have model numbers beginning with GIL.

I bought a Montgomery Wards snowblower in working condition for $75. I think its 8 HP and 28". They wanted $75 to plow my drive once. But its been replaced by a 36" Airens from CL. So this one will be for sale.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
The model number beginning with TMO indicates it's an MTD. Many Wards snowblowers were made by Gilson, (which was bought by Lawn Boy and then Toro) they have model numbers beginning with GIL.

Good info KD!

I was going to guess this was a Garden Way built unit.

This would have been the last of the decently built MTD stuff I'd guess.

Joel

120819_4728.jpg

Found this pic online, looks very similar. MTD shamefully sprayed over with black paint.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back