Oil for 04 F250 with 6.8L v10

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truck is a family members and I need some advice on what oil to use.
This will be my first time working on this truck.
The oil does not get changed very often as it should. I was thinking of a
high millage castrol 10w40 or 10w30. Can someone guide me. No fully Synthetic , synthetic blend is ok.

thank you

-2004 Ford F250 6.8L V10
-232xxx miles
-truck calls for 5w20 (not sure of the specifications)
-easy driving
-long trips on highway (about 70mph)
-San Diego CA its a little cold now no ice though
-no problems

not looking for synthetic

High mileage 5/30 would work great for ya. GTX HM is one of the best! Change at 5000 miles.

Welcome to BITOG

Btw. I have run a lot of 5/30, including GTX HM in my 5/20 spec truck with no problems

welcome2.gif

I'd go with something like QS Defy 5w-20 or Maxlife 5w-20. A HM 10w-40 seems a bit thick for something that's calling for a 20w.

ok thanks guys, I believe last oil in it was a 20w50. Not sure why so heavy. Autozone told him to use that for the high miles in it. Which I know it is wrong. So from now on I will be maintaining this truck. So I am not sure, but would it be recommendable to change the weight of the oil if it is consuming some, I know for sure there is no leaks. Just a question I don't think it is consuming thought but if it were what advice do you guys have?

Last edited:
Don't think you can use the word "cold" and San Diego in the same sentence...
48.gif

I'd use 5w-30 and see how it does. No NEED for 20/50 nor would I ever use it.

232,000 + miles in a single digit MPG vehicle? Makes me feel better with 285k in a 40MPG+ vehicle (though I still think about it)

Take care,Bill

Originally Posted By: noe619
ok thanks guys, I believe last oil in it was a 20w50. Not sure why so heavy. Autozone told him to use that for the high miles in it. Which I know it is wrong. So from now on I will be maintaining this truck. So I am not sure, but would it be recommendable to change the weight of the oil if it is consuming some, I know for sure there is no leaks. Just a question I don't think it is consuming thought but if it were what advice do you guys have?

Well its really an oldschool way of thought to run a 20/50 in a hm vehicle. I had a friend with an old dodge with 350k and he ran 20/50. The truck is still running today. Did he need it? Im not so sure. Did it hurt the engine? No its still running today. A good HM 5/30 should be all you need.

If consumption becomes a problem and your running a HM 5/30 could always step up to a 10/40. Another option would be to try a piston soak to clean the rings, sometimes that helps

The main thing Is to watch your oil pressure. If it drops you probably need a heavier oil because of bearing wear. But if you have good oil pressure with a 5/30 there is really no need in a thicker oil

These Ford modulars are very happy on 5W-20, but they will quite literally run nearly forever on anything that resembles oil. We have a whole fleet of them at my work and they get run out to 400K+ and still run strong. They get nothing but cheap bulk dino 10W-30 and 6-7K mile OCIs. That V-10 will live a long, happy life on any good dino or syn blend 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, or even 10W-40 and a 5000 mile OCI.

I'm running Maxlife 5W-20 in my 5.4, but it's a little more sensitive to viscosity being the 3V version with VCT.

Last edited:
I went with 6 qtrs castrol HM 5w30 and K&N filter, I was going to go with the MC 5w20 but I decided to go with castrol because of the HM. Thanks guys. I will not be driving the truck, but in a week or so I will be checking it out

These modular engines aren't picky and I bet it will go many hundreds of thousands of miles no matter what's in the sump. Rest easy knowing just about anything will work fine.
These engines are equipped with an oil cooler so even a 20 grade,like what the manufacturer specifies,is fine. If you aren't comfortable with a 20 grade go up to a 30 grade. The engine won't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back