Oil burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a oil burner (lets say a quart every 900 miles)would you have higher than normal wear?????? A wise man once said constantly introducing fresh oil will strip boundary layers resulting in increased wear.

Thats a good question. I have only seen one uoa of an oil burner and it had high wear numbers, but that could have been sludge breaking up.

You would have fresh oil all the time which is good, but your oil would be constantly contaminated by combustion gases.

So it could really go either way.

Are we talking about a real world application or just theoretically?

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Thats a good question. I have only seen one uoa of an oil burner and it had high wear numbers, but that could have been sludge breaking up.

You would have fresh oil all the time which is good, but your oil would be constantly contaminated by combustion gases.

So it could really go either way.

Are we talking about a real world application or just theoretically?

I might be an a$$ sometimes but I appreciate people like electrolover,volk,quattro pete. They are the only ones that answer my questions!!!! OH, almost forgot, TIG is awesome too.

Well how do you feel about additives? I would honestly kreen it first and then run a syn like PP to see if you can curb consumption.

Another option would be a piston soak. With MMO OR SEAFOAM OR KREEN

If nothing works I would just put a 10k filter on it and run some cheap dino like
Defy 10/40 and keep it topped off for 20k intervals. When it comes to that situation, theres really nothing you can do anyway so why worry about it?

Also have you changed the pcv valve and looked over the system to make sure the air inlet isn't clogged up? If not I would get on that

Originally Posted By: fauxchemist
Real World application..... 2002 Dodge Durango 162,xxx miles. Burns a quart every 900 miles..........

Ouch. At that rate of consumption you don't even really need to change the oil since your adding so much of it it's replenishing the add pack constantly.
If your going to go the hm oil route I'd use a cheap filter and just change it at 5000 mile intervals.
Unless of course you want to try an oil additive. Kreen gets good reviews around here,as does mmo. Seafoam has worked for me in the past with sludged up engines but there are less expensive options out there.

constantly introducing fresh oil will strip boundary layers resulting in increased wear.

So not true

Depends how you burn it. If it goes past the exhaust valves it won't foul plugs and your rings are good so you won't be getting combustion gases where they shouldn't be.

If that Durango has a 318 though they had issues with "valley gaskets" letting oil in the intake. You should naturally still change it once in a while.

If it burned that much, I agree with others in terms of changing PCV, OEM oil filters, and going to HM oil. If that doesn't slow/stop the burn off rate, I'd go up a grade conventional or maybe even synthetic. I read somewhere that new oil get burned off most in the first 500 miles. So the new oil you always put in there gets burned off first than the older oil. It would behoove you to do severe service OCI.

Last edited:
constantly introducing fresh oil will strip boundary layers resulting in increased wear.

So not true

I was just reading about this. The theory is that when changing motor oils, the new oil will strip off the protective film from the old oil before the new oil is able to establish its own film.

If I am able to find it, i will post a link to the aricle.

Originally Posted By: Gabe

So not true

I was just reading about this. The theory is that when changing motor oils, the new oil will strip off the protective film from the old oil before the new oil is able to establish its own film.

If I am able to find it, i will post a link to the aricle.

It should be on the home page. Dnewton wrote the article based on some SAE data iirc. It's enlightening information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back