Oil Recommendation 2008 Nissan Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Frontier with the 4.0 liter. I have used exclusively Mobil 1 5W-30 i it with a Nissan or Pure One filter. Runs great, burns NO oil and the engine is as clean as new on the visible casm.

When buying a car with an unknown service history I like to just assume its been abused and neglected. If I were you I would change the pcv valve right off the bat along with the fuel and air filters. For oil I would use PU and a good filter like napa gold or bosch or pureone and change at 3k for the first couple drains and then stretch it out to 5k for a while.
It may seem like overkill but if there is a slight sludge or varnish issue that would get rid of it pretty quick.

Also cut open your filters for inspection afterward. That will give you an idea of whats goin on inside

So, while PYB, PU, and M1 are all good oil, what makes them a better recommendation than anything else?

It's really going to come down to your personal preference. It you prefer to run conventional oil and shorter intervals, PYB, VWB, QSGB, GTX, etc. in the proper grade/spec will do fine for you. If you prefer to run synthetic and stretch your intervals a bit, PP, PU, QSUD, VSP, M1, etc. will all work well.

Do what many of us here on BITOG do... watch the Sales forum and buy stuff on sale.

When it comes to oil filters, I believe that Nissan will spec the PL14612/M1-108/HP-1008/XG6607 size "shorty" filter. As many of us Nissan owners do, the slightly longer PL14610/M1-110/HP-1010/XG7317 size filter will also work. While I don't think there's any real difference/gain that you're going to see, some just prefer the extra media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back