Thinnest gear oil made for manual transmission????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
grndslm - You said this "re-lubricating dry transmission bearings"- what do you mean??

Well... I'm not 100% sure they are "dry".

But I think the "input shaft" bearing is the culprit for my noise. It's definitely not the throw out bearing, or only the throwout bearing. It's likely both of these bearings.

Point is... this input shaft bearing has a noise that is slightly more than a whine, but slightly less than a growl. I'm hoping that a thin oil will be able to "get inside" and work its magic.

Not sure if this will help you but I am planning to change the tranny fluid in my Golf from Red Line MTL (10+ cSt) to Elf HTX 740 (4.7 cSt) for fuel economy purposes. I am running the HTX 740 in my bike now and it is very good. ELF HTX 740 is a monograde ultra fluid lubricant (100% PAO based) specially developed for dry clutch gearboxes coupled to 2-stroke engines. It is equivalent to GL4.

Manual trans bearings are splash lubed... If they are noisy, they are shot. Thinner oil will not help, it WILL make the noise louder.

If you are dropping the trans, then replace the input bearing. It really is not that difficult. If you don't think you can handle it, take the unit to a trans shop and have them replace it.

This is one of those thing that can't be cured by a "snake oil" remedy. If you are keeping the truck, get it fixed.

Originally Posted By: Gotch
Manual trans bearings are splash lubed... If they are noisy, they are shot. Thinner oil will not help, it WILL make the noise louder.

If you are dropping the trans, then replace the input bearing. It really is not that difficult. If you don't think you can handle it, take the unit to a trans shop and have them replace it.

This is one of those thing that can't be cured by a "snake oil" remedy. If you are keeping the truck, get it fixed.

Thanks for the info.

Now that I've looked for more pics, the input shaft bearing doesn't look like it would get any oil at all, no matter how thin it is. So this whole idea was a wash. But not the kinda wash I was looking for!!

Originally Posted By: another Todd
On some trannys you can "hear" the input shaft bearing. This does not necessarily mean it is bad.

I'm starting to realize that this is a fairly common issue. I even saw that one guy completely rebuilt a Nissan transmission and still heard the same loud whine, quiet growl. Another had the same experience, but after 6 months or so, the noise stopped!!

NOW... I'm thinking that I'll just go for a thicker synthetic flush and deal with any damage if and when it happens.

All RWD manual trannies have bearing noise simply because the tranny is right beneath you. FWD ones are way in the front,therefore you`re not able to hear the noise as well.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Redline MTL 70w-80. That is the thinnest "manual transmission fluid" I have seen.

Isn't their Superlight Shockproof MTF thinner?

-Bryan

You will not be able to fix the bearing noise with new lube. I have seen cases where the noise got worse after the lube was changed. That being said, the Amsoil MTG is a very good lube. I think your idea of a drain and refill with MTF is a waste of time and money. It won't hurt anything. I would just fix the bad bearing and then put in the MTG.

A bad input shaft bearing that is making noise should go away when you put it into whatever gear is 1:1 ratio (power flows straight through in 1:1) In a truck I had, that gear was 4th gear, not 5th, which was an overdrive. When in the 4th gear, the power flow was straight through the input to the output shaft, and not down through the countershaft. When in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gears, the power flows from input to countershaft and back to main or output shaft, which puts more load on all the bearings supporting these shafts, and makes noise if those bearings are bad.

If the throwout brg is bad, it will be noisy when you push the clutch in.

You will not get any better lube into your bearings by going thin. If you want to experiment with lubes to quiet your noise, put in a load of Lucas trans fix instead of going thinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back