ZDDP/ZDTP & older engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys.
I read the article at Penrite about ZDTP myth. I just want to know what they mean by older engines. Should I consider cars like KIA PRIDE or PEUGEOUT 206 as older engines or it is safe to run these cars with SN grade? What engines do they refer to when they say older engines?
Thanks.

Last edited:
If they do not have a catalytic converter then the full zinc level will offer better protection for the engine. If the cars have cats use the SN oils.

Originally Posted By: 229
If they do not have a catalytic converter then the full zinc level will offer better protection for the engine. If the cars have cats use the SN oils.

Thank you. They have Catalytic converter.

Last edited:
The engines that seem to suffer increased wear are in three basic groups, firstly the old classic car blocks the were designed back in the days when most engine oil had lots of Zinc, secondly the flat tappet engines that were rebuilt using poor quality steel components (They had some real big issues with running in if a high Zinc break in oil was not used, but also needed about 1200 ppm after break in) and thirdly there have been some modern lemon blocks, mostly from VW that started to suffer from increased wear when the Zinc levels were cut below 1000 ppm due to Cat and EGR related restrictions. The recent further cuts due to DPF restrictions have further reduced the Zinc levels and if you don't have a DPF it's a good idea to steer clear of C3 rated oils, regardless of all the publicity.

SoI saw one oil company also mentioned early roller rocker arm equipped engine also need higher zinc, but just not sure what they meant by early model with roller rocker arm.

A lot of GM performance V8 owners stick to euro engine oils for the slightly higher HTHS and higher ZDDP levels. Yes, these are roller engines and the spring pressures are relatively mild and most cam failures in stock cars have been traced back to subpar cams, sticking rollers, and bad oil pumps.

What I have done to be safe is install an oil pressure gauge and use a stouter oil. I'm not so stuck on heavy ZDDP, but I have been using euro oils as the higher viscosity has slowed my oil consumption to a half quart every 5k miles. I burn at least twice that on energy conserving 5w30.

Thank you so much guys.

Originally Posted By: skyship
The engines that seem to suffer increased wear are in three basic groups, firstly the old classic car blocks the were designed back in the days when most engine oil had lots of Zinc, secondly the flat tappet engines that were rebuilt using poor quality steel components (They had some real big issues with running in if a high Zinc break in oil was not used, but also needed about 1200 ppm after break in) and thirdly there have been some modern lemon blocks, mostly from VW that started to suffer from increased wear when the Zinc levels were cut below 1000 ppm due to Cat and EGR related restrictions. The recent further cuts due to DPF restrictions have further reduced the Zinc levels and if you don't have a DPF it's a good idea to steer clear of C3 rated oils, regardless of all the publicity.

by DPF you mean Diesel particulate filter? My cars I mentioned have petrol engines, I guess they don't have DPF but they have three way catalytic converter.
As far as I understand it is safe to use SN grades in most 80s and 90s cars, only it should not be c3 rated, correct me if I'm wrong.

I also asked Penrite about older engines and they said they generally mean 1970s when they refer to older engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back