Ford Five-Hundred transmission problem 6 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did the old fluid look and smell? And is it a CVT tranny? Or a 6spd?

Originally Posted By: 7055
The transmission was most likely maintained. It used to be a business vehicle and I highly doubt that they bought the vehicle and decided not to do regular maintenance.
I wouldn't be too quick to assume that. A business vehicle is usually on the books as an expense, not a revenue producer, so most businesses will only do work that is absolutely necessary. Also, does the owner's manual say anything about changing the ATF? If not I can just about guarantee it was never done.

I work for a company with a very large fleet, and I've seen many vehicles need expensive repairs because the drivers simply don't know or care about maintenance other than getting the oil changed. There is no tracking of maintenance intervals and I doubt most of the vehicles have ever had the transmission fluid changed (except mine
grin2.gif
) but they've had expensive repairs performed more than once.

Originally Posted By: 7055
Well they said it costs $1350 to take it out and tell me what the problem is. So that was a pointless free inspection?

A very large national transmission repair chain (you know the one) does this a lot around here. After they get you to OK the $1350, they pull the trans and dissemble it, then give you the "bad" news. Needs a full rebuild and they quote you an extreemely high price. When you balk, they ask where you want it towed, cause the $1350 was just for tear down inspection, or it will be another couple grand to put it back together in the same condition as before, OR you could apply the $1350 towards their full, over priced bebuild. They got you over the barrel at that point. As mentioned already, ask around and find a reputable shop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mcrn
How did the old fluid look and smell? And is it a CVT tranny? Or a 6spd?

Looked a little bit dirty I guess, 6 speed

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

For the shudder? Add a bottle of LubeGard red. It's not going to make it any worse.
21.gif

DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT THE SPECIFIED FLUID. USING THAT SNAKE OIL COULD VERY WELL MAKE IT WORSE!

OH NO!!!! I've been using unspecified fluid for well over 100,000 miles on my Aisin 6 speed! Surely those bottles of LubeGard will kill us all!!!! It's going to make it worse!!!!......someday......maybe.....kinda' sort of...not really. It shifts better and the sloppy throttle input BANG! downshift is actually lessened without genuine T-IV in it.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
antiqueshell said:
OH NO!!!! I've been using unspecified fluid for well over 100,000 miles on my Aisin 6 speed! Surely those bottles of LubeGard will kill us all!!!! It's going to make it worse!!!!......someday......maybe.....kinda' sort of...not really. It shifts better and the sloppy throttle input BANG! downshift is actually lessened without genuine T-IV in it.

Some folks get lucky. But not the "rest" of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back