1080p 42" Plasma TVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea as to whether these might become available in the future? Panasonic made them, but they don't seem to be available anymore.

Not that I know of.

The reality is that unless you're staring at the TV from 3 feet away, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42" screen.

ET16,

I have a Panasonic 42" 720p plasma that I've had since 2007. It's an excellent TV. Even today it's the best TV in my house. I just upgraded at bought a Toshiba 55" 1080p 120Hz 3D LED Smart TV (55L6200U), I think the Panasonic is a better TV.

Panasonic made a 42 inch 1080p plasma, but a plasma is considered obsolete technology by most people. You won't be able to tell the difference between a 720p and 1080p on that TV.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: JC1
ET16,

I have a Panasonic 42" 720p plasma that I've had since 2007. It's an excellent TV. Even today it's the best TV in my house. I just upgraded at bought a Toshiba 55" 1080p 120Hz 3D LED Smart TV (55L6200U), I think the Panasonic is a better TV.

Panasonic made a 42 inch 1080p plasma, but a plasma is considered obsolete technology by most people. You won't be able to tell the difference between a 720p and 1080p on that TV.

Regards, JC.

Thanks. I may just go the 720p route. I can get a refurb for $330.

I bought my last TV based on its estimated energy consumption because of the kids playing video games so much. I cant tell difference between the newer one and one that has been in use 5 years here. I think ambient light and reflection screws up quality more than the hardware's output in my house.

check out slickdeals dot net, its a forum where people post good deal links and others chime in and either thumbs up or shoot them down with a better link/deal. I let them argue and try to top each other, as the rest of the lurkers enjoy the banter and save $$ hehe.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5756490-Panasoni...B-M-YMMV?page=6

Last edited:
1080p 42"? What's your viewing distance? You'd have to be REALLY close to take advantage of that over 720p.

My 50" DLP is 1080p and I sit 6 feet -- I could actually sit about a half-foot closer and still be fine.

Panasonic makes some professional-grade digital signage in 42", but you'll have to feed them with an external signal.
TH-42PF50U is one of them.

Originally Posted By: dparm
1080p 42"? What's your viewing distance? You'd have to be REALLY close to take advantage of that over 720p.

My 50" DLP is 1080p and I sit 6 feet -- I could actually sit about a half-foot closer and still be fine.

or you have to use it as a computer monitor (not the best quality for that) to tell the difference.

Why do you want a Plasma? They are becoming a bit of a dinosaur now. The glass screens are nice but only in dark settings. Go with LCD, my personal preference out of the "big 3".

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The backlighting that's used on most LCD TVs doesn't result in the greatest black levels. Plasma still does it better, IMO.

in a dark setting, yes.

Plasma obsolete? Yeah right
lol.gif

I've heard this for maybe five years or so, but it's still kicking around not only because it delivers superior PQ at all angles, but because it is very cheap compared to LEDs. I agree that plasma screens are more prone to glare due to glass, but you can always crank up the settings to compensate, something I have to do on my LCD ad well. So it's not just a problem with plasma.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Plasma obsolete? Yeah right
lol.gif

I've heard this for maybe five years or so, but it's still kicking around not only because it delivers superior PQ at all angles, but because it is very cheap compared to LEDs. I agree that plasma screens are more prone to glare due to glass, but you can always crank up the settings to compensate, something I have to do on my LCD ad well. So it's not just a problem with plasma.

I was a TV salesman/repair guy for years. Recently. I did not say obsolete. However - It's obvious in the decline of sales with Plasmas that they are on their way out. Are they a poor quality TV? No. But folks are finding the cost and picture more favorable with LCD and LED. I have had tons of customers complaning about their Plasma TV's glaring because another salesman told them it was their best option. I sell them an LCD and they come back to thank me.

When I started Plasmas cost $4500. Nowadays they are about a 1/8 of that price. Yes they were the "business" back then but there are other more favorable options now. In a dark setting they are hard to beat. In your upstairs day room with skylights and windows, forget it.

In five years they will all be on clearance because Godzilla LED will have crushed their popularity.

You did say that they are becoming a "dinosaur", to me that means only one thing, obsolete, as in old, inferior, outdated etc.

What you are describing is a phase out by another competing technology, not necessarily a better technology at that. History is full of such examples where the market chose one technology over the other where the "looser" was actually superior to the "winner".

So plasmas are definitely not obsolete or a "dinosaur", but you are right that plasma may be phased out by LED's and other liquid crystal technologies on the horizon. I still don't think that plasma is dead, I know I would choose plasma over LED probably 9 times out of 10 and there are plenty of others that feel the same way, but in the end, the market will decide.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
So plasmas are definitely not obsolete or a "dinosaur", but you are right that plasma may be phased out by LED's and other liquid crystal technologies on the horizon. I still don't think that plasma is dead, I know I would choose plasma over LED probably 9 times out of 10 and there are plenty of others that feel the same way, but in the end, the market will decide.

I certainly wouldn't. The richness and colors on many of the LCD's are superior to the same makes and tiers of Plasma models. I'm the opposite of you in that in 9 times out of 10, I would go with LCD - and the 10th time I would more than likely go with an LED.

I used to recommend the Plasmas over LCD, full boar baby. Now the LCDs have gotten so good that I can't in good conscience recommend one unless the owner has a personal home theater man cave in the basement.

The Plasmas are going the way of the Projection TV.
15.gif

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
...I would go with LCD - and the 10th time I would more than likely go with an LED.

Uh, an "LED" is an LCD. A "regular" LCD uses a fluorescent backlight, an "LED" uses an LED backlight. They're both liquid crystal displays. LED used to be an upsell/selling point but has rapidly moved downmarket as LED prices have come down. They are more efficient than fluorescent lamps and tend to allow for thinner displays, if those factors matter to you.

At the same price, plasma TVs tend to have superior picture quality and often are available in a larger size to boot. Whether they're still for sale in the future has little bearing on a buyer's decision today.

jeff

My folks have a 42" Panny 720P plasma. That is an awesome TV. Works perfect and looks great. I believe that panel is made in Japan.
Recently I went to buy an ST30 Panasonic plasma and due to the excellent sale I found on a 550 series Samsung, I ended up with that instead. I love my Samsung plasma as well, the PQ on it is just fantastic (I read reviews before I bought this one as well)

I as others have said, would just go with the 720P panel.

Plasma for life! (it is my favorite over the other types)

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Originally Posted By: zerosoma
...I would go with LCD - and the 10th time I would more than likely go with an LED.

Uh, an "LED" is an LCD. A "regular" LCD uses a fluorescent backlight, an "LED" uses an LED backlight. They're both liquid crystal displays. LED used to be an upsell/selling point but has rapidly moved downmarket as LED prices have come down. They are more efficient than fluorescent lamps and tend to allow for thinner displays, if those factors matter to you.

At the same price, plasma TVs tend to have superior picture quality and often are available in a larger size to boot. Whether they're still for sale in the future has little bearing on a buyer's decision today.

jeff

LCD = Liquid Crystal Display
LED = Light Emitting Diode

As usual, lots of people saying things that they know nothing about. They are different technologies. But everyone's an expert here, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back