How do you load test a motorcycle bttery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you load test a motorcycle battery?

Do you use the same load tester as an automotive battery?

Since they are smaller, I thought there might be a different method.

Most automotive load testers don't have a load range low enough for motorcycle batteries. My motorcycles batteries are rated for 165 CCA. Haven't seen an automotive load tester that low.

A carbon pile load tester that allows you to adjust the amount of load applied. You have to know the batteries CCA and then load it to a percentage of that. IIRC you load it to approximately 50% of the CCA, but don't quote me on that.

This isn't the answer you are looking for but I replace my motorcycle battery every 4 yrs. Good preventative maintenance. The last thing I need is being 100's of miles from home and having a dead battery. Yuasa YTXBS-14. $65 from Amazon.

Last edited:
A carbon pile tester than can test at 50% of the CCA. It should beep in 15 seconds, read the voltage (temp compensated scale).

Or a cheap auto one rated for 50 AMPs should be close.

My virago electric start was so lousy (and 16 amp hour battery so terrible) I got pretty good at roll starting it.

Unless you have some weird fuel-injection security chip key like new cars you should be able to pop it into action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back