School me on Drain Plugs, Crush Washers, Gaskets..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

So after years of working on personal vehicles (import and domestic), I'm wondering if you guys can give some tips/info on drain plug gaskets/crush washers. On the Fords I've worked on, the oil drain plug never seems to have a gasket. My Toyota and Hyundai (and previous Nissan) use aluminum crush washers or fiber gaskets.

At the parts store I've come across many different types of crush washers/gaskets. The most common ones I see are the copper/aluminum, rubber, and fiber based gaskets. Is there a rule of thumb on picking which one to use and if certain types are interchangeable? It would be a lot more conveniate if I could just buy a bulk box of assorted gaskets on eBay to use on everything rather than having to make a trip to the stealership everytime to get the OEM one.

I'm yet to change the crush washer on my Mazda with 100k miles on it. My 2003 Focus has, what appears to be the original plug and a rubber gasket.
The only car that I changed the gasket and the drain plug was my 95 Accord after I got it, as the bolt head was rounded off a bit and I used whatever the auto parts store had that matched the thread size.
As long as it seals, it doesn't matter what the gasket is made of.

Last edited:
I change my Nissan vehicles' copper drain plug crush washer at every oil change. The factory service manual specifies to use a new one each oil change. A 10 pack of crush washers at the local dealer is around $10, no big deal. I'd rather not chance a drip or leak from the drain plug.

I dont know if I want to rely on such an approach. My experience has also been that I've never had a leak from reusing or using the wrong gasket for drain plugs.

The gaskets/crush washers cost next to nothing and I figure the manufacturer uses them for a reason. It can't hurt, especially for the transmission/differential fluids in a manual which almost never get checked except at the 50,000 - 100,000 service intervals.

I've never changed an oil pan drain plug washer in my life, nor have I ever had a plug that leaked- and that includes the one on the 430,000+ mile Plymouth 318 I owned. I did have to change a plug on the wife's PT because some previous owner had rounded the flats using an SAE socket one too many times.

I once made a washer out of leather to seal a drain plug on a Honda with a bent pan. The bend was slight but ran right across the oil drain. Never leaked once.

I use toyota oem washers on each oil change on an 04 toyota that have some type paper coating- never a leak. my nissan uses the same brass washer for the last 12 years- it does not leak either.

I first tried reusing one on my Hyundai and it leaked. Then I figured out that if I pounded it flat it won't leak.

John

I replace most everything I encounter with fiber. The limited compression rubber gasket types never seem to seal right for me.

Dang nylon ones crack, and many rubber ones seem to fall off the bolt, usually requiring a new bolt (with the rubber on it). Years ago I never had a problem, now they all seem to leak!

Ive never, ever replaced any gasket on my drain plugs on any vehicle Ive ever owned. And Ive never ever experienced a leak at the drain plug. I didnt do it out of arrogance, I just figured leave good enough alone. If its not seeping/dripping, why waste a perfectly fine seal?

Luck I guess.

On my Prius, Ive changed the oil twice since I bought it in September. I re-used the metal washer on to the magnetic drain plug I installed. No leaks, yet.

Last edited:
I tend to always replace the aluminum crush washers on my Hondas. The annealed aluminum is meant to work harden as it is crushed. It also helps prevent the oil pan threads from stripping. But I have reused them and never had any leaks. I'm sure the Honda engineers say to replace them for a reason though.

Replace the washer each time and torque the drain plug to the mfg's spec. You can buy the crush washers at a very low price on eBay.

Originally Posted By: nobb
I'm wondering if you guys can give some tips/info on drain plug gaskets/crush washers. On the Fords I've worked on, the oil drain plug never seems to have a gasket. My Toyota and Hyundai (and previous Nissan) use aluminum crush washers or fiber gaskets.
The drain plugs on my 2007 Mustang and 2006 GMC Envoy have an integral seal. I also have two Honda vehicles and I always replace the aluminum washers on the drain plug and torque to spec.

IMG_4633.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back