Cut Open FRAM XG717 Honda Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note:

The "Sure Grip" prevents a standard Honda filter wrench from fitting on the filter.

The filter was ~$9.60 at WM which was the only place I could find it in stock.

Labeled MADE IN USA

Bypass valve was left in the bottom of the can when the element was removed.

XG7317.jpg

XG7317a.jpg

XG7317b.jpg

XG7317c.jpg

XG7317d.jpg

XG7317e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been several discussions on here about whether the media is 1 layer or 2. And what the composition of each layer is and looks like. Would you mind digging into the media, pulling it apart, and taking some pictures? Should be 2 layers of media and a screen.

Also that gasket on the metal end cap. Can you get it off and take a pic? want to determine what its made of.

Thanks!

Ultra XG 7317 $8.98 at Wally's here, afaik they largest seller of the Ultra. Well made full synthetic filter with a high efficiency rating. Only nitpick I have with this particular size/application is tapping plate requiring exact alignment of thread boss for installation, but Fram does now show it on the box. The larger Ultra's have the user friendly tapping plate which is helpful in blind installation.

Bypass being left in can when media core removed (dome down) is as designed, leaf retainer spring seals and holds it in place in closed can.

The Ultra is a decent value when used for extended oci's or two standard oci's.

What do you mean by tapping plate? Where the threads are? Unlike the classic I used to use, the Ultra is real easy to thread without looking. Only thing to remember with these filters is the sure grip and the hard can make it easy to over-tighten. Your hands become a wrench. Then its a biyatch to get off. Remember not to over-tighten!

$8.98 is probably right, my price included tax.

I will try to tear further into it tomorrow and take some more pictures.

Last edited:
Quote:
What do you mean by tapping plate?.....

Another name for base plate, and name used by J Buckley in Fram oil filter instructional video's. The thread boss used on the XG7317 and shown here and below is not the same as those used on larger Ultras. Been posted here before as shown and discussed in this thread.. As for the Puro Classic I've used many of them and never had an issue with any installation including some semi-blind. In any case the Classic an P1 thread boss design does not protrude like the XG7317, it's recessed making installation easier. And note, I did say nitpick.

9ftxyu.jpg

Older user friendly design, and used on larger Ultras.

FRM-HM3387A.jpg

I'm looking at a spare ultra and a 2 year old extra guard right now. Its reversed. The Ultra looks like below, the extra guard looks like the top pic. I can try a pic if you want.

The classic issue is unique to my car I think. Its not the plate, its the diameter of the thread hole. Too big, makes it "nick' the threads.

Is yours an XG7317 because I just looked at one last week in Wally and it's the same as the OP's and the top pic? As said, "larger" Ultras like the XG 3614 use the lower pic tapping plate design.

I will try to post a picture of the base plate tomorrow as well, I remember thinking at the time it looked like the OEM Honda baseplate down to the stamped code, but looking at raw pictures it appears that the holes may be larger.

XG7317f.jpg

Be nice if they would use the OEM style gasket instead of the standard o-ring on it as well.

The black wrinkle paint is enough to keep me from actually running one though.

Last edited:
sayjac - On the left is an Extra Guard for a 00 Corolla. Very small filter. On the right an Ultra for a 3800 series III Pontiac Grand Prix. "medium" sized. The Camry also uses an Ultra, same plate as the one in this pic. Whats interesting about this pic is the Extra Guard. The picture on the box does not match the plate on the filter.

UltranExtra_zps0462252c.jpg

You have different two filter application shown. The PH4967 is very small filter (shorter than the 7317), but the same diameter as the (XG)7317 and it too uses the less user friendly tapping plate/tread boss design. Though the OP didn't show a pic of his baseplate, based on my very recent observation of a new XG7317, I'm certain it's the same as on the box shown.

The XG3387A has a larger diameter than the XG7317, and therefore it uses the older and superior imo tapping plate design. While the difference in diameter is ~3/10", that must be the cutoff point between the two designs or something similar. Not sure why Fram now does this because several years back under Honeywell as far as I remembe all Frams including the 7317 used the better design.*

So, the pics follow the linked thread and the previously posted pics.

*Note the difference between the base plate pictured on the PH4967 box (older design) and the actual newer design same as XG7317.
56.gif

Last edited:
I've seen both thread plate types floating around, I think its a new stock, old stock kind of thing.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
What do you mean by tapping plate? Where the threads are? Unlike the classic I used to use, the Ultra is real easy to thread without looking. Only thing to remember with these filters is the sure grip and the hard can make it easy to over-tighten. Your hands become a wrench. Then its a biyatch to get off. Remember not to over-tighten!

The tapping place is the working end of the oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back