Audi 3.2 V6 Oil - VW 502 standard - where to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Gang

Where do you audi/vw guys buy 5w40 that is VW 502 standard? I have a 2005 and 2007 3.2 Audi. I believe Castrol Edge SPT 5w40 is the right oil.

I have only found it at Advance Auto Parts and they said it was $9 per quart.

Any suggestions/alterantives?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
You can get M1 0W-40 at WW in jugs.

WW = Walmart?

Do you know if the 0w40 is VW 502 compliant?

Thanks!

Jeff

Ah, my mistake; WW=Wally World. I guess I saw it at Advance for somethink like 37.99/4 or 5 qts. Lots like not much better than Castrol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I guess I saw it at Advance for somethink like 37.99/5 qts.

If that's the case, then Walmart's per quart price of $7 would be cheaper.

Jeff Grice WW = Walmart? Do you know if the 0w40 is VW 502 compliant? Thanks! Jeff [/quote said:
Yes, WW is ChinaMart lol! both the older SM and the newer SN are 502/505 on the bottle as approved for use and exceeding the warranty requirements.

You can get that oil buy one get one free at advance auto right now. The 0w-30 and 0w-40 would be options too for same price.

That's like 14 qts for $63 plus tax, enough oil to change both cars. Time to stock up.

Originally Posted By: Jeff Grice
Hey Gang

Where do you audi/vw guys buy 5w40 that is VW 502 standard? I have a 2005 and 2007 3.2 Audi. I believe Castrol Edge SPT 5w40 is the right oil.

Thanks

I use Mobil 1 0w-40 in my VW.

It is VW502 certified.

From my own personal research, I consider Mobil 1 0w40 to be one of the best oils around.

If you can find a distributor in you area, Service Pro 5W-40 is a good choice for fixed interval changes. I will be using it in my 2003 A6 when my small stash of G-Oil and RL 20W-50 is used up.

I can get it locally for $4.88/quart after sales tax, and the distributor is a vendor of my employer so they will bring it right to me at work.

It's not on the official approval list, so they do the "meets or exceeds" workaround. That's only applicable if you are still under a CPO warranty.

Last edited:
You can also get the 502 compliant Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 at Walmart for almost the same price as Mobil's 0W-40. Buy whichever is cheaper.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
You can also get the 502 compliant Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 at Walmart for almost the same price as Mobil's 0W-40. Buy whichever is cheaper.

If they cost similar no way would I buy the valvoline. Not that it isn't good oil but Mobil 1 0w-40 has more certifications than any other oil I've ever seen.
If they were cost comparable I'd go with the Mobil 1.
I hope tig doesn't see this post. Gulp

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Hey Gang

Thanks

It is VW502 certified.

From my own personal research, I consider Mobil 1 0w40 to be one of the best oils around.

The German VW owners are a fussy bunch and those doing long OCI's often use M1 0/40, although more of them use LM Synthoil or Castrol Edge 0 or 5/40's. Shell and Valvoline have a foot in the door but they are a long way behind the gang of three.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Hey Gang

Thanks

It is VW502 certified.

The German VW owners are a fussy bunch and those doing long OCI's often use M1 0/40, although more of them use LM Synthoil or Castrol Edge 0 or 5/40's. Shell and Valvoline have a foot in the door but they are a long way behind the gang of three.

Shell behind the gang?
What about Pennzoil 5W40?

FYI I purchased two 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 0-40 Euroblend at Walmart this past weekend for 24.99 in freehold NJ. Cant beat that price. BTW I have a 2007 A6 also, great car

In France, almost all of the 5W40 oils are VW 502/505 compliant even the cheapest but I would find an oil like the Mobil 0W40 for my VR6... Mobil 1 New Life is expensive here.
cry.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back