"Special" Honda Hydrostatic Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
New guy here with a question for you hydrostatic transmission experts

I have a Honda H4518HST Lawn Tractor purchased new in 1996 w/ 1,500hrs
It's time for a Control Yoke Collar replacement and Hydrostatic tranny fluid exchange
The Tranny holds 5.2 quarts of oil

The Honda Factory shop manual says in one location to use "Hydrostatic Transmission fluid" and in another location to "ONLY use special Honda fluid". The "Honda" fluid costs >$5/quart if you include shipping to me in the outback of western Montana. I have loads of UDP and Super UDP hydro fluid which I have been using in my Kubota's for years.

What makes the Honda Fluid so [censored] special?
Can I use the UDP or Super UDP fluid that my Kubota's hydrostatic transmissions run on?
Is Honda just trying to get more of my money?
What's the story here?

Last edited:
I recall somewhere where Honda's Hydrostatic oil was just 5-30 Dino OIL. Never confirmed it, but the source was pretty reputable to not second guess it

Thanks

Been hearing similiar reports from other sources as well - but nothing specific

Wondering if my Kubota UDT oil will work just fine in polace of the Honda stuff?

Let me play devil's advocate here.

You've had (I assume) good service from this tractor for 16 years and 1500 hours using the Honda FF "special" fluid. The fluid costs $5/qt for approx 5 quarts, so that $25. Really? $25 for 16 years of service? Do you really want to risk possible issues using the other fluid to save $25?

Seriously, no disrespect intended, but do you see my point? Just use the Honda fluid and sleep well for the next 16 years.
grin2.gif

RF

My question remains
What makes the Honda Hydro fluid so special
I do not believe Honda owns an oil refinery or makes any sort of oil - I have to assume they re-badge some standard oil
Just not sure what the specifications are of the stuff in question

I assumed the oil experts here would be in the know regarding this sort of thing

I did look on line for the Honda stuff best price currently is $12/quart plus shipping.

KJ, in my limited experience with Honda riding mower hydrostats, 10w30 is what came with them. Honda did use some Tufftorq/Kanzaki transaxles, which are very mainstream and typically ship with 10w30.

Integrated hydrostatic transaxles (differential gearing built-in) all take motor oil from what I've seen. 30wts are a good catch-all. Hot climates and severe usage, 40 and 50wts are a better choice. Best middle ground would be a synthetic 5w40 or 15w40 IMO.

Old hydro drives, where the rear diff used it's own gear oil use hydraulic fluids, ATF or 20wt motor oil.

Don't sweat the Honda hydro oil if you don't want to use it. A good quality HD engine oil will work perfectly.

Those are cool little tractors btw! Honda put some INSANE engineering into that inline 2-cyl, liquid cooled engine.

3422142_large.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
JTK

Thanks for the informative response
Yes indeed the 4518 and the 4514 are nice little machines
Liquid cooled engines and Hydro tranny
I understand from a Honda employee Honda built the tranny thus did not OEM some other folks tranny on this machine

Is yours a 4514?

I believe I will try the Kubota UDT fluid I have in stock here - it's been working in my two Kubotas for years with zero issues.

Originally Posted By: KJINTF

Is yours a 4514?

I believe I will try the Kubota UDT fluid I have in stock here - it's been working in my two Kubotas for years with zero issues.

No Sir. Not mine. Just a pic from online.

Kubota UDT should be fine provided it's for a "trans-axle". Drive and diff share the same oil.

Joel

for your sake, I hope it was changed several times before the 1600 hour mark.If so, just use what you used before. If it hasn't been changed before, I get a vision of what happens when you change the trans fluid on a car with 200,000 miles on it for the FIRST TIME.

Steve

The Honda manual states in one place change it every 5 years or 500 hours and another not to bother ever changing the fluid. The factory folks at Honda say no need to ever change the fluid.

I did think about the 200,000 mile thing but had to change it do to replacing parts inside.

Yes it is a transaxle all the same fluid through out the differential and transmission

An automotive trans and a hydrostatic trans are two entirely different beasts.

There's no clutches in OPE hydrostatic transaxles.

There's probably a filter on that Honda trans. If it's not a spin-on, it might be a cartridge.

Joel

JTK

You can check out the internal details of the transaxle over at Boats.net - they have exploded parts drawings.

No external filters used on them - I would assume an internal screen or similiar

The old fluid came out almost black - So far with less than an hour on it works fine with the Kubota UDT Hydrostatic fluid

You're right KJ. The filter is internal to the case (like lots of them). It's #14 here: filter Given it's a vertically split case, you'd only change that baby if you had the trans torn apart. Main thing is it's got an easy to fill expansion tank on top and a drain plug on the bottom.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back