Maxima Ultra vs Motul 300v vs Redline Motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to select oil for my new sportbike. I did some research on motorcycle oils and these seem to be my finalists. Both Maxima (visc 12.66 @100c)and Redline (visc 14 @100c)have zddp at or above 2400. Are there any disadvantages to extremely high zddp for a motorcycle besides catalytic converters? I would say I prefer Maxima Ultra at the moment with redline in second and motul 300v in third. Price for the most part is irrelevant. Could you guys help me narrow my field down to a winner?

Thanks
Kevin

First off...

1.) Year, make, and model of bike please
2.) Oil capacity of said bike
3.) Riding style...lots of redline, easy cruising, drag racing, etc.

That will help give people proper parameters to give advice.

Last edited:
Its a 2007 kawasaki zx6r 2.3 L oil capacity if I remember correctly. It is geared down and is going to be high in the rpm range. Redline on this bike is at 16500 rpm so its a screamer.

I think any of those oil would be great. As long as they are the proper viscosity, you'll be fine with any of them.

But if I had to pick one from your three, I'd go with the Maxima Ultra.

I don't run inline-4 crotch rockets, but in several of my scooters, (which rev to 13k rpm's), I run a 50/50 mix of M1 Racing 0w50 and M1 0w20 AFE. If it's gonna be really hot and I'm going on a long ride, I mix in 50% M1 Racing 0w50, 25% M1 Ow40, and 25% M1 0w20 AFE. But these scooters have 0.6L oil capacities!! Mine have close to 1L with the oil cooler. And I change the oil every 600 miles.

These are the little 50cc Honda's I run. This was my first build. I got about 18k miles on her now.

photobucket-1361-1344300193334.jpg

Last edited:
Ahhh I love Ruckuses (Ruckusi??) seems like you modded yours alittle bit. I really think that Ester based oils are superior in that their polarity makes them attach to cylinder walls at startup. I know alot of guys run M1 but I think ester based may be superior? Not that I am questioning your advice but have you had any experience with Maxima oils or specifically Maxima Ultra?

Kevin

Yeah, I modded my Ruck a little bit.

The M1 Racing is an Ester oil. Just like the three you are considering.

But I cut mine with an oil that primarily a 50/50 mix of GroupIII+ and PAO. This is M1 0w20AFE.

I do that for two reasons: 1.) I don't need 50 weight oil at operating temps 2.) These race oils (all 4 ester oils being discussed here) especially the M1R, Maxima, and Redline.....have huge amount of zinc and moly. I don't think it's really necessary to have it THAT high in my application.

I have no first hand experience with any of your three oils. But my friends run Redline and Maxima in their crotch rockets. None of them have had any problems with either of their bike. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

And just so you know....and I'm not trying to push Mobil oil on your...but Mobil makes the same ester-based racing oil in 0w30 as well. These oils are VERY stout...just like Redline and Maxima.

What makes you think you need all the ZDDP?

Plenty of people have run 300V (much lower ZDDP) and returned good wear numbers. I actually ran the 300V 5w40 motorcycle-version in my old Audi S4.

Maxima is also an ester-rich formula. I talked to the owner and he even runs their motorcycle/race oils in his family's cars so I suspect the ZDDP levels are safe there too.

Now with the Maxima Ultra the only 40 grade that they have is a 5w40. Is that going to have any issues with sheering in the shared sump engine/trans vs a 10w40? Also rraiderr have you ever torn down one of those track bikes engines? If so how did the internals look?

Is it for street or trackas street riding isn't nearly as hard on the oil.
IMHO street riding is lots of short shifting (in your case at 13-14k rpm) with minimal WOT and only the occasional blast to redline.

Dare i say it???...

Those 3 oils would perform identically.

Originally Posted By: quarterliter
Now with the Maxima Ultra the only 40 grade that they have is a 5w40. Is that going to have any issues with sheering in the shared sump engine/trans vs a 10w40? Also rraiderr have you ever torn down one of those track bikes engines? If so how did the internals look?

The last we pulled apart were the 08 750 and 07 ZX-6R.

They were Amsoil and Maxima mostly. Looked nice and clean with no signs or abnormal wear. The ZX-6R eventually ate itself but that was due to some bad factory top end parts. Kawi fixed it free.

We don't run the oil all that long and in the past we ran 40W but a few years ago we switched to 50W for track use.

To be honest I see lots of track day riders running 40W oils of all kinds and following manufacture oil intervals with no engine failures.I would love to get a UOA on some of those cases to see wear and sheer.

I plan to do a UOA's on Amsoil 20W-50 after running it for 3 track days and see what it looks like.

Redline is a Rated MB fluid, meaning its stating it does not meet most MA friction Manufacturers request. Personally I have had issues with MB rated redline in wet clutches.

So out of the 3 , either the Maxima or the Motul. Ive ran the Motul, its fine, although expensive.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Redline is a Rated MB fluid, meaning its stating it does not meet most MA friction Manufacturers request. Personally I have had issues with MB rated redline in wet clutches.

So out of the 3 , either the Maxima or the Motul. Ive ran the Motul, its fine, although expensive.

?? On the Redline website all of the motorcycle oils are listed as JASO MA.

Thanks for the insight rraiderr. I am definitely thinking maxima ultra is the way to go I found it for 14 bucks a quart from chapparel. Motul is made in france and while they make good cookware i don't have confidence in their engineering. (Besides Renault F1) The Maxima starts of fairly light for a 40 grade somewhat near to a 30 grade and as long as it doesn't shear, as sunruh has said in the past about Maxima Oil he's tested, it should be fine. If im not liking maxima then I'll try Redline next.

The last motorcycle redline bottle I saw at cycle gear, said MB rating on the back of the bottle. That was about a year ago, maybe they've updated rating or formula. The next time I go into a cycle gear store I'll recheck.

But prior to 1 year, I've never seen any Redline with an MA rating

Motul is made in france and while they make good cookware i don't have confidence in their engineering. (Besides Renault F1)

Well, chances are you've flown on an Airbus jet. Airbus is based near Toulouse, France. Also, you've probably heard of France's TGV high-speed trains, which are among the world's fastest. So, French engineering isn't all that bad
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wally21
Motul is made in france and while they make good cookware i don't have confidence in their engineering. (Besides Renault F1)

Well, chances are you've flown on an Airbus jet. Airbus is based near Toulouse, France. Also, you've probably heard of France's TGV high-speed trains, which are among the world's fastest. So, French engineering isn't all that bad
wink.gif

Don't go to the statue of Liberty or the Eiffel tower. Those pieces of French junk may just fall over on you. LOL And that Suez Canal thing is so overrated.

The French are excellent engineers both today and in the past. I mean every nation makes some real lemons. I mean we are the country that gave us the Ford Pinto and Chevy Vega.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back