Ford Five-Hundred transmission problem 6 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Ford Five-Hundred with 220,000 miles on it and the 6 speed. I am having an issue with the transmission, and I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice on what the problem is or what to do about it.

It feels as if the vehicle can't decide what gear it wants upon acceleration, it bucks back and forth sometimes trying to choose a gear. It also shifts hard on occasion. When I am on the highway using the cruise control, If I push the button to make it speed up, the rpms will rise without an increase in vehicle speed. What is causing this?

I have tried adding Lucas Transmission fix-it to no prevail. I took it to have a free transmission inspection today and they claimed that the Lucas will actually ruin my transmission and make the seals swell up. What is your opinion on all this?

Are you sure its the transmission? Have you checked for codes? Sometimes a bad O2 sensor or a bad MAF sensor can cause the same symptoms.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 7055
the rpms will rise without an increase in vehicle speed. What is causing this?

torque converter unlocked- normal operation for acceleration.

lucas products are generally bad.

I'd start with a couple drain and fills of the proper fluid.

220000 miles when was the fluid last replaced..

also it could be near the end of its life thats a respectable amount of mileage for an auto transmission.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
the rpms will rise without an increase in vehicle speed. What is causing this?

torque converter unlocked- normal operation for acceleration.

Not normal operation, It rises too much. 4500 rpm and the car isn't accelerating.

They haven't done the inspection yet, I dropped it off today.

My guess is the tranny may be toast.

If you give it more gas and the RPMs increase but the car doesn't speed up I'd say the problem is the trans as that is the link that gives power to the tires.

Clutch packs, shift solenoids, bad torque converter, I can only guess as I don't have much experience diagnosing auto trans.

Could also be something simple, like very low fluid. That is the number one problem. Could also be overfilled for some reason.

There is a TSB for something similar, but not exactly what you describe. The solution on the TSB is a TCM update.

Ford does not service any internal components on this trans, except for the torque converter. The clutches and steels are only serviced in a reman trans assembly.

The lucas was definitely a mistake. It made your fluid heavier and just in general isn't a good thing to use.

With regards to the activity, it sounds either like a sensor is baffed or the transmission has a mechanical issue. I'm interested to hear what the shop says.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
There is a TSB for something similar, but not exactly what you describe. The solution on the TSB is a TCM update.
Ford does not service any internal components on this trans, except for the torque converter. The clutches and steels are only serviced in a reman trans assembly.

Ah, you beat me to my post. I was going to recommend a check to make sure that the trans didn't have a recall notice on it. My mom has a 2006 500 and seem to remember a recall on it that took them a few hours to perform. Howver, I'm sure the TSB or recall wouldn't cover costs to repair a worn out transmission.

Well they said it costs $1350 to take it out and tell me what the problem is. So that was a pointless free inspection?

Well they said it costs $1350 to take it out and tell me what the problem is. So that was a pointless free inspection?

Ask around and find referral to a good independent transmission guy. Those are the kind of guys who actually know their stuff and don't give "free inspections."

They can determine whether or not their is an external issue with the transmission. However, as mentioned previously, the transmission itself is a CVT and the only option is to replace the unit or dispose of the car.

I'd start with a visit to the Ford dealer to get a reprogram done and then maybe do a DIY drain and fill (or have Ford do it is the price is reasonable). See if that fixes you up. It will also get the Lucas out of there, which is a good thing in itself.

I haven't seen mention if the transmission fluid has been replaced.
That would be the FIRST thing that I would look into.
No additive is a substitute for replacing worn out fluid.
I like cheap and easy routine maintenance ideas before thinking of something more exotic.
If you have a FORD dealer do the fluid change, they should run your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) through their system, which will bring up any open recalls that may be pending for your particular vehicle.
If you do not have the service done at a FORD dealer, make SURE that the correct fluid is used. I would check with one so that they can verify any recalls for you.

Originally Posted By: wiswind
I haven't seen mention if the transmission fluid has been replaced.
That would be the FIRST thing that I would look into.
No additive is a substitute for replacing worn out fluid.
I like cheap and easy routine maintenance ideas before thinking of something more exotic.
If you have a FORD dealer do the fluid change, they should run your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) through their system, which will bring up any open recalls that may be pending for your particular vehicle.
If you do not have the service done at a FORD dealer, make SURE that the correct fluid is used. I would check with one so that they can verify any recalls for you.

I don't know when the last time the fluid was changed but everybody tells me that changing the fluid can cause the tranny to go bad because the gunk is what's holding it together, then other people tell me to change it. It's kind of frustrating, I had multiple people tell me that the Lucas would solve the problem too, then as soon as I put it in it's all the sudden going to ruin my transmission? I don't understand how there is always so many contradictions when it comes to this kind of thing.

Change the #%^^ fluid! Anyone who tells you the old fluid is holding the transmission together should not be allowed to open the hood of their car. And for heavens sake make sure you put the exact correct ATF in there.

Sounds like the transmission has never been serviced. So it's lived a long life considering....

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Change the #%^^ fluid! Anyone who tells you the old fluid is holding the transmission together should not be allowed to open the hood of their car. And for heavens sake make sure you put the exact correct ATF in there.

I just called Firestone and they won't even change it for me because it's over 90,000 miles and I don't know if it's been changed before. It's apparently part of their policy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back