2004 Kia Amanti Amsoil OE 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found out a while back that my Aunt( mid 70's )was talked into using Amsoil in her Kia a few years ago. I try and stay out of her business whenever possible as she is an odd duck but somehow it came up and I was horrified at what I was told.

They had her running Amsoil OE for 2+ years and close to 20K on the last change before the one we just had tested. They told her that OE was good for at least 25,000 miles and that there was no time limit on it( 6 months, year, etc... ). Not even a filter change in there! Just top off the oil as needed( thank god she did that at least ). The real kicker was when she told me they were hitting her up for $15 a qt for OE! Yes, $15 a qt.
33.gif

I explained that Amsoil offered various oil lines and that they did have one rated at a year and 25,000( Signature Series )but that OE was not it. OE was more of a 6 months 5,000 mile( or go by the vehicles OLM )offering +/-. I just couldn't believe the line of bull she was being given.

I asked when the oil was actually last changed and she said about 6 months ago and it was coming up on 4000 miles. I said we needed to change it and do a UOA to see what was up. Her vehicle is over 90K now and she is trying to decide if she should keep it or not once she passes 100K. I thought a couple UOA's would help decide if the engine was in good shape or if maybe it was damaged by that ridiculous 2 year high mileage run on OE.

Anyway, we just got the results back and while not the end of the world it is not a great UOA either. This engine was HARD on the Amsoil OE. At 4025 miles the oil is basically done and she does have some wear that I don't like. I have suggested she do another UOA this summer( will be 6 months and around 3500 miles - she doesn't drive much anymore )and see how that one looks? I am going on the assumption that a couple normal OCI's with the OE will turn the results around but? If it comes back anything like this or worse I am going to tell her to sell the vehicle before 100K.

NOTE - nothing here is a bash on Amsoil. All my disgust and anger is directed at the moron who told her it was ok to run OE for 2 years and all of those miles and that sold it to her at $15 a qt.
mad.gif
I got her to go elsewhere for the Amsoil now( Pablo made me a great offer but as said she is odd and wants to buy local vs shipping ).

UOA:
2004 Kia Amanti
3.5L V6
Amsoil OE 10W30( replaced with OE 5W30 )
Kia OEM Oil Filter( replaced with Purolator PureOne )

kiauoa.jpg

I owned 1 of these cars. Currently they recommend 10w-40 or 15w-40. Register at kiatechinfo to get it from the source.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles

Hyundai/Kia recommendations for 2.4L and 3.5L thru MY2006 per the owners manual are:

5w-20, 5w-30 temp -30C to 50C
10w-30 temp -15C to 50C

5W-30 was the prefered grade per markings in the owners manual and on the engine filler cap.

However in roughtly 2008 hyundai/kia back spec'ed all 2.4L and 3.5l engines toward 40 weights regardless of model the engine was installed in.

From Kiatechinfo, hyundai provides a similar site. I have been on both.
eda9990b.gif

My opinion is after a few engine failures (I had 2 failures in the 3.5L) the recommendation was changed. I also had a Hyundai Sonata with the 2.4L, I ran the car with 10w-30 and with 15w-40. The fuel economy was a bit better in warm weather with the 15w-40.

Some uninformed people may assume all Amsoil products are extended oil change.

Quite honestly I feel there are motor oils at Walmart (like PU) that are as good as Amsoil for the OCI I want to go. But I do get their ATF and gear oil.

Since the acceptible level for Alum is 30PPM and iron 100-200PPM I believe you are over reacting to this report in saying she should sell the car by 100K.

Interesting that in 2008, Hyundai retro-specified a 40 grade. What about for the then-current 2008 or 2009 models? Was an engineering change made to the engines that nullifies the need or perhaps "desire" for a 40 grade? To my knowledge, they recommend 5W-20 or 5W-30 today.

What does the OE Engine oil bottle say on it about time and mileage?

If it was a dealer and a receipt is avaliable, they owe you about 10 bucks a quart.

If it was an Amsoil dealer....turn them in! and they owe you some money as well.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Interesting that in 2008, Hyundai retro-specified a 40 grade. What about for the then-current 2008 or 2009 models? Was an engineering change made to the engines that nullifies the need or perhaps "desire" for a 40 grade? To my knowledge, they recommend 5W-20 or 5W-30 today.

The engines changed from the 3.5L to a new 3.8L in MY2007. The new engine is not directly comparable to the old engine, that is what happened.

Above is for a 3.5L V6 and the 2.4L inline 4 cylinder.

This is for the 3.8L gama engine (G6DA).

edrf020a.gif

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2

If it was a dealer and a receipt is avaliable, they owe you about 10 bucks a quart.

If it was an Amsoil dealer....turn them in! and they owe you some money as well.

I agree, i'd attempt to track down the [censored] who's ripping off older folks by feeling them this bogus!

her driving conditions (plus maybe the fact that the previous oil was ran so long, that this last fill was doing a lot of cleaning, hence the low TBN) seem SEVERE to me.

I've ran Amsoil OE for 7-8k in two different engine (98 Camry V6 and 06 Civic EX) and the UOAs showed 2.x TBN left. I could have stretched it to 10k if i wanted too. The oil is good and will go the distance if the driving conditions aren't SEVERE.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2

I agree, i'd attempt to track down the [censored] who's ripping off older folks by feeling them this bogus!

her driving conditions (plus maybe the fact that the previous oil was ran so long, that this last fill was doing a lot of cleaning, hence the low TBN) seem SEVERE to me.

I've ran Amsoil OE for 7-8k in two different engine (98 Camry V6 and 06 Civic EX) and the UOAs showed 2.x TBN left. I could have stretched it to 10k if i wanted too. The oil is good and will go the distance if the driving conditions aren't SEVERE.

My Aunt doesn't want to make waves but trust me I have spoken to the rip off artists and told them what I think of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back