2010 VW Golf variant 1.6TDI, 27k kilometer oil cha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Heidelberger75
Don't know why the fuel contamination was there but it cleared up for the second uoa. Someone on tdiclub thought the previous owner might have used biodiesel thereby causing it. I bought the car with 16k km and it was a rental so I doubt it had any fuel in it other than the standard German pump diesel. Also, all diesel in Germany is allowed to have up to 7% biodiesel.

Oh yeah, vw does NOT use special breakin oil in the factory fill.

Thanks for the info on the break in oil, I thought they were using a special Fuchs oil. The Bio diesel does not cause fuel contamination (I'm in germany and have never seen any in my UOA) and is good news not bad in cleaning terms. It can result from too much time at idle OR taking the sample without at least 30 mins driving around at full operating temp. If it's not either of those two possibilities then it must have got in the sump when the injectors were fitted or something real odd. UOA looks fine, although the Calcium and Zinc level of the oil you used seems a bit low, if this is a new generation high tech long life that is not so important and like my LM Synthoil it does not contain Moly which has been left behind in technical terms.
Is this Castrol Edge or GTX 5/30?? The fact it held up in viscosity terms makes it look like Edge, BUT the Zn and Ca look more like GTX.

Last edited:
Is this vehicle equipped with a DPF?

If it is that might explain the fuel contamination.

Fuel contamination is fairly common on DPF equipped diesel vehicles.

Especially if they are switched off part way through a regeneration cycle.

Yes, it has a DPF.

On the receipt it shows the dealer used "Castrol Long Life 3" oil. Doesn't mention the brand name. A spare liter I bought 1.5 years ago is called Castrol Edge but doesn't mention Long Life anywhere on the label.

On the receipt it shows the dealer used "Castrol Long Life 3" oil. Doesn't mention the brand name.

Long Life III is the name of the oil made by Castrol for VWAG. I used to run it in my Golf.

P1050526.jpg

Originally Posted By: scurvy
On the receipt it shows the dealer used "Castrol Long Life 3" oil. Doesn't mention the brand name.

Long Life III is the name of the oil made by Castrol for VWAG. I used to run it in my Golf.

P1050526.jpg

Good to see VW using a British Oil. The VW TDI is fussy about which oil is uses, so this will be a good one.

Hi. Resurrecting my old post! Just to give an update, the car has about 150k km now and I am doing yearly oil changes with between 15-20k km per year.

One time a couple of years ago I added about 0.5 liter as make-up oil but that was the only time.

We will probably sell it in the next year but if not I would run my current oil to the full 2 years again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back