Bars leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bars leaks has several additives. Powder,Pellets and i saw a liquid mix,didn't say or see pellets in it.
Which is better or a preferred one?
Impala 3.4 (3400) and i'm going to get a coolant flush and want to add what people say is the TABS,can't locate the tabs so having used bars in the past with the pellets is that good enough for added protection?
I lOVE this website! TONS of information.
Ppl say use 2 tabs but can't find that tabs yet.

From what I understand the powder is really just crushed tabs.
All Barsleaks products which claim to stop leaks (tabs, powder, pellets) work on the same principle and should work as intended.
I assume you are using this product as a PM for a leaky I/M gasket problem? I did that with my 3.1 Buick until approx. 80K when I had the IMG replaced with a FelPro PS gasket.
In my experience the tabs, powder and pellets all work but they can plug up your heater core if overused.

Autozone can get the tabs. Some carry in store also. Tabs are DIFFERENT than powder and pellets, so find the tabs.

Your GM dealer should also have the tabs. Pretty sure I read here that Bars Leaks makes the tabs for GM.

I have used the the Bars Leak liquid copper stuff(block gaskets,rad,hoses) and the liquid silver(rad only)also the powder .In my experience,the liquid copper is the best I've ever used.The the particles are already in suspension and very fine so no heater core clogs but it does take at least one full bottle to work,depending on the leak.I tried to 'spoon feed' it for fear of clogs ...nope,just put the whole container in.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Your GM dealer should also have the tabs. Pretty sure I read here that Bars Leaks makes the tabs for GM.

Bars does make the stop leak tabs for GM.
You should be able to get them at any GM dealership, they are reasonably priced, last time I bought some.
In my opinion, they are about the most safe and effective stop leak additive.

I agree that Bars Leaks (or GM rebranded) tablets are the way to go. I use it as a preventative measure in my two older vehicles.

I think one of the Bars Leaks powders has the same formula, but most of them do not. The ingredients are ginger, almond shell, turmeric, and sodium carbonate.

Also, don't put too much in. Most GM engines seem to call for one tablet for each gallon of coolant mix. That's probably two tablets for a 3400 W-car. Three might be OK, but disregard the packaging's instructions to use all six!

THANKS!! Looking for added protection in case something might happen. I've read on this site that the 3400 v/6 i have in my 2005 impala (35,500 miles) is not a problem motor for intake leaks,it was the years before that so i've read on here.
Be that as it may..i'd like some added protection,ya never know.
I have not had a leak since the start of the past winter and that leak was only about 1 qt or less but it did have air in the system,i could hear it.
The oil has aways been clean,no issues with that and i check it alot to be sure and i get's changed very regular.
Guess i'd like to try to stay one step ahead in the game.
Autozone here did not have nor know about the tabs,just had powder and liquid forms.
Will try the local gm guy or napa.

There was a time when GM needed this stuff to control coolant leaking through cast aluminum parts and started using it.

In time, Mazda and then Nissan needed it but didn't use it. Gm (mostly) fixed their problems and (again mostly) stopped using the stuff. Now it's Ford that needs it and also doesn't use it.

The rabbit pellets work. They stop coolant from leaking through flawed aluminum castings. Too much makes a nasty mess and functions as the equivalent of oil sludge in the cooling system, but in small doses it's an effective way to prevent leaks. The biggest problem with them is that "use as directed" means use way more than is appropriate for PM. IMO the package recommends using an amount suitable for use with a small head gasket leak. Yes, the pellets can stop a minor head gasket leak.

my old 90 deville called for he GM tabs... I used 1 tube of the powder bars leak from walmart. worked fine.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
my old 90 deville called for he GM tabs... I used 1 tube of the powder bars leak from walmart. worked fine.

For sure it did its the same product.
Bars Leak Gold is the same as the Tabs and the GM tabs only in a powder form.
All three are Ginger Root based, the tabs just being compressed and more difficult to use (must be placed in the lower hose).

Ginger Root is preferred over metallic types because it remains in a shrunken state when wet and will only expand when exposed to air. For this reason it will not plug the heater or radiator.
It is the most effective type of safe sealer. Subaru uses this same formula in liquid form from Holts and works just as well as the tabs or the powder, it can be had at any Subaru dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back