92 Chevy pickup with 350,need oil suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the first time in several years I finally own something that doesn't leak tons of oil and I need help. I have only been getting 9mpg from this truck (it's a big heavy one ton crewcab). I need help picking an oil to help the economy,I drive mostly short trips with my longest trip being 60 miles max. I use it as a truck so it does see full throttle/high load conditions.the odometer says it has 98k, so it's somewhat low mileage.
I was thinking of using some m1 AFE but I'm not sure is ideal for use in a pickup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dime
I have only been getting 9mpg from this truck (it's a big heavy one ton crewcab)

Just wondering, what oil have you been running while getting 9 MPG?

A different type of oil probably isn't going to change much in the economy of an engine that sees "mostly short trips" and "full throttle/high load conditions". 9 MPG is probably about right for what you're doing. I wouldn't expect much more.

5w-30 or 10-30 will be fine. Don't expect miracles with an oil change, you are running a heavy truck for short distances in the winter...it is going to use some fuel. A new truck with a ton of electronics will might get 3-4 MPG better, but of course the increased depreciation, insurance, etc will overshadow any fuel savings.

That '92 Chevy is a very simple & reliable truck, I would start with a basic tuneup. Check the timing, condition of distributor cap/rotor/wires, change the plugs, etc. After that, add gas as needed and put it to work.

Check the basics first. A tune up can help with MPG, but as stated, you aren't going to see much improvement with your use. I'd run Rotella 10w30, and call it a day.

The 350tbi is a decent engine. no oil is gonna help you with mpg's though.

How much oil does it burn?

Flat tappet V8, makes it a good candidate for Rotella T5 10W30 semi-synthetic, or even a mix of an HDEO and a HM oil such as QS Defy or Maxlife to prevent seal leakage. 350 TBIs are capable ofdecent highway mileage if babied-but if you work them hard, they'll drink it down hard enough!

I read here a long time ago info from a Pennzoil/Shell employee. Quaker State High Mileage oil was designed for SBC engines valve seals. If your new truck is not burning oil, run this Quaker State HM and hopefully the valve seals will last longer. "Defy" is the new name of this oil and the bottle is red.

10w-30 is fairly thick and todays 5w-30 is high quality oil and it protects as well as 10w-30.

Try to modify your driving style for best fuel economy. It's hard to do. Some folks are disciplined and the rest have a lead foot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Flat tappet V8, makes it a good candidate for Rotella T5 10W30 semi-synthetic, or even a mix of an HDEO and a HM oil such as QS Defy or Maxlife to prevent seal leakage. 350 TBIs are capable ofdecent highway mileage if babied-but if you work them hard, they'll drink it down hard enough!

I imagine a 1 ton truck probably has 4.10 or 4.30 gears ... bet that really spins at full speed!

02 sensors! Those engines were very good. I have seen a few with 400k+ that were still running fine and still passed the California emission test. I say 10w30 and Dont worry about zddp and the cam as they don't seem bothered with the lowered zddp.

If its a 1 ton it'll have 4:10s,,anyway 0w30 AFE can be used no problem sure, i run that oil in my '99 1 ton 454 and tow heavily with it.

But like said above no oil is going to help mileage on that old girl.

It's been tuned up recently,I installed an msd coil at the same time.in 400 miles it hasn't leaked or burned any oil.it currently has rotella 15w 40. My goal is around 12mpg but I know oil alone won't get me there.

Originally Posted By: dime
it currently has rotella 15w 40.

That thick of oil is not needed! any 5or10w30 or 0w30 is all you need.

It's what I had on hand when I changed it, I'm planning on changing it again since this cold weather it's causing a noticeable slower cranking speed.

QS Defy 5W-30 or 10W-30, Napa Gold filter, and forget the fuel milage. You'll miss that 9 mpg if you buy a newer one with 14 mpg and a payment. They like 87 octane just fine as well.

I have a 92 305, same engine with a smaller bore. I like Pennzoil conventional in it because it runs quieter than the Valvoline that had been in it previously. But really run any 5W30 as spec'd because even with todays lower zddp oils they seem to do fine. Buy what's on sale and sleep easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back