prestone or peak cleaner safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used the prestone or peak coolant system cleaners? I just wanted to know because i plan on using it on the 97 maxima with 100,xxx miles safe?

Why do you feel you need a cleaner? Unless you see sludge in the radiator I would just do a drain and fill of the radiator once or twice.

With the modern coolant I do not think a cleaner is needed very often.

If there is sludge in the overflow, I would remove it, fill with hot water and Dawn dish washing detergent and shake.

+1 I wouldn't use a chemical flush, I'd be concerned about not getting it out entirely and it becoming distructive inside the cooling system.

I've used a cleaner before and after I drain it I refill with city water, run a while after it gets hot. Then drain again and fill with distilled water, again run a while after it gets hot. Then drain and fill with first one gallon of 70/30 antifreeze/distilled water. Then top off with 50/50 antifreeze/distilled water.

After any flush, I would do repeated drain and fills with distilled water until my calculations show the system would be 95%+ new distilled water. (About 3 to 4 drain and fills)

Then I would do a drain and fill with 100% coolant in an quantity that equals 50% of the system capacity.

Then I would top up with distilled water.

I've used the Prestone cleaner for many years in many different cars, never a problem. You'll be surprised at what comes out.

I flush the system after using the cleaner.

I've used both Prestone and Peak cleaner. The Prestone one gets some nice, foaming action going on. The Peak doesn't. Both definitely clean more than flushing alone. Neither one is harmful if used as directed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back