New Castrol 0W-40 ? Has 5W-40 been replaced....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that next to the new stock of GC at my neighborhood Advanced Auto, they are stocking Castrol 0-40 in place of 5-40. The new 0-40 is labeled made in Belgium, and carries the VW 502 and Porsche A40 specs. Has anyone else noticed this replacement or ran this oil ?

Wow, that's news. Post a pic or it didn't happen!
smile.gif

Does it say Edge with SPT on it or something else?

Trust Castrol to release a product but have no mention of it on their website. Compare it to Pennzoil who will post a bunch of product info on their site but never put the product on the shelf.
smile.gif

I remember both bottles of the GC and 0-40 being branded the same, they even both have the "European Formula" on the front. I can't find any information about the oil online either, typical Castrol as you mentioned. I'll go back later in the week and get a picture.

Originally Posted By: Kennedy
I noticed that next to the new stock of GC at my neighborhood Advanced Auto, they are stocking Castrol 0-40 in place of 5-40. The new 0-40 is labeled made in Belgium, and carries the VW 502 and Porsche A40 specs. Has anyone else noticed this replacement or ran this oil ?

I was looking for this stuff and Castrol Canada told me it didn't exist!

PICS PLEASE!

0w40 Castrol Edge FST has been around in Europe for a good long while.

www.opieoils.co.uk/c-1773-castrol-engine-oil.aspx

In Europe at least they are not really meant for the same specific market niche as 0w40 has saps of 1.12 and 5w40 has saps of 0.8.

Due to this 5w40 is a C3 oil aswell as A3,B3,B4.

The 0w40 is only A3,B3,B4.

For NA users 0w40 is SM and 5w40 is SN.

Last edited:
I am a Mobil 1 user and although I believe Castrol is just as good if not better, I refuse to use products from such a shady company. FYI- German Castrol is the only oil I have ever used that helped with oil consumption.

Last edited:
The last few times I looked at the back of their 5W-40 bottles in Peppies, they were labelled; "Made in USA of foreign and domestic components", instead of the "Made In Belgium" I am used to seeing on them.
confused2.gif

No problem.....any help on embedding the pictures ? I will be sending a virgin sample to Blackstone next week. I'm interested is using this in Audi / VW 2.0T, 2.7TT, and 2.5 engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back