AMSoil Cetane Boost okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says it boosts 7 points (from 42 at my local station to 49) (VW's minimum). I want to make sure I am picking the right product before I spend $250 at the local Amsoil warehouse.
Thanks!

It has two ratios, a "up to" 3 point and a "up to" 7 point. But what do the words "up to" mean?

My guess is that cetane goes down in the winter with a winter blend. I know it has less BTUs and gives worse mileage.

Originally Posted By: Donald
It has two ratios, a "up to" 3 point and a "up to" 7 point.
"upto" means they don't promise you will get 7. It might only give you 6 points if the diesel is really rotten. PowerService brand gives "upto 5" in their advertising.

And 3 vs. 7 depends how much Amsoil boost you add. Add half-an-ounce per tank and you get 3-4 points. Add a full ounce and you get 6-7.

I don't know what winter cetane does. The U.S. minimum is 40. The number measures how quickly the fuel will autoignite..... the easier the better. (Basically the opposite of gasoline where you want the fuel to be hard to ignite (to avoid knocking).)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: theaveng
Originally Posted By: Donald
It has two ratios, a "up to" 3 point and a "up to" 7 point.
"upto" means they don't promise you will get 7. It might only give you 6 points if the diesel is really rotten. PowerService brand gives "upto 5" in their advertising.

And 3 vs. 7 depends how much Amsoil boost you add. Add half-an-ounce per tank and you get 3-4 points. Add a full ounce and you get 6-7.

If it only moved it 1 point rather than 7 it would still be in the "up to" 7 range.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
I think you will find 1 point is .1

Yep. When they say up to 7 points they mean .7. Think about it. How much fuel is that little bottle being diluted by. That stuff would have to be some serious cetane to boost say 80 liters of fuel an actual 7.
Before you spend that kind of money I suggest a google search. See what others are writing about it and if there is any actual independent testing done.
Doesn't some government agency test these products,the EPA or something. I remember reading a whole list of additives that were tested and proven to be bogus. I can't remember what site it was on though.
I think it was here and someone had posted a link that I went to. Sorry I can't be of more help

Originally Posted By: Clevy
That stuff would have to be some serious cetane to boost say 80 liters of fuel an actual 7.
(googles). According to the EPA diesel fuel can indeed be "boosted" to a higher level. Whether or not Amsoil's product does that, I do not know, but it's possible in practice. The EPA has performed tests between "natural" high cetane fuel and boosted cetane fuel, and found no difference in fuel or emissions: http://www.epa.gov/air/caaac/mstrs/passavant.pdf

Amsoil's bottle claims "one oz per five gallons" which does seem pretty dilute, though it's about the same dosage recommended by Ford on their cetane boost bottle. BTW the "$250" in post 1 is a bit misleading. That comes-out to ~6 dollars per bottle, or $1 per tank in my beetle.

Last edited:
No. The Amsoil datasheet says high-speed engines benefit from 50 or higher cetane, and that their cetane boost moves the typical 42-44 diesel up to that level. The EPA study I posted also showed 42-44 fuel chemically-boosted to 49-52 (using whatever additive they had). So it is possible.

I'll buy it. Worst thing that happens is I waste $1 at each fillup. Besides the TDIclub forum members all say running low 42 cetane in a TDI is like running 87 octane in a sportscar: That it is not good for the engine & you should run what the manufacturer recommends (49 and 91 respectively).

Last edited:
We have seen marked improvements in the cold-starting of large diesels with a cetane additive...especially if the engines are a little "tired".

I had no issues with it all in my TDi. I always found it to be less stink than PS Silver.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back