winshield wipers skip across windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wipers always skip across the windshield if their isn't enough water on it and it makes a ton of noise to it forces me to constantly have to adjust the speed. The wipers are brand new and even the old ones did this. I heard that I can clean the windshield to remove whatever film their may be on it. What do you use to clean it? Also anyone have any other solutions?

maybe try to Rain-x your windshield? It is wax based so maybe your blades don't need to be as wet to glide over the windscreen rather than chatter?

RainX works by lubricating but doesn't fix the root cause which is all the crud on the surface of the glass. Use a claybar and you'll be amazed how much junk is actually on there that you couldn't really see. Fixed my skipping wipers.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
BonAmi. Wet windsheild,sprakle,use a paper towell and clean it and rinse. Works better then anything else out thesr. Its been used for years and won't scratch.

x2, might want to try clay as well.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Can you use windex on the windshield?

33.gif

My wipers always skip across the windshield if their isn't enough water on it and it makes a ton of noise to it forces me to constantly have to adjust the speed. The wipers are brand new and even the old ones did this. I heard that I can clean the windshield to remove whatever film their may be on it. What do you use to clean it? Also anyone have any other solutions?

Annoying skipping is usually the result of old rubber.
Just because you just bought the wiper blades doesn't mean that they're new.
They could actually be a few years old if you bought them from a low volume outlet or you have a really odd size.
Buy a new set of the cheapest blades from a Walmart or other similar high volume source and I'll bet your problem goes away.
The cheapest blades sell the quickest (go figure) so are likely the freshest.
I've had this experience myself.
I've bought higher end blades only to have them skip or chatter.
Cheap blades have always been just fine.
I'm also not so sure that the more expensive blades really work any better or longer, based on what I've seen in my use.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

Yes, I do quite often.

Ammonia will degrade rubber seals. Only use ammonia-free windex.

Originally Posted By: mattd

33.gif

Haha nice!

I was thinking some mmo
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

If one wants to nitpick, yes, but it's really not a major worry. In the taxi fleet we only used Windex or it's no-name equivalent with plenty of ammonia. It was done twice a day for many years. Now, if there's aftermarket tint, I'd worry about ammonia.

Originally Posted By: Garak

If one wants to nitpick, yes, but it's really not a major worry. In the taxi fleet we only used Windex or it's no-name equivalent with plenty of ammonia. It was done twice a day for many years. Now, if there's aftermarket tint, I'd worry about ammonia.

Just putting the information out there, bud. If I had to guess, I'd say most people who clean their windshields simply spray a bunch on and wipe it down, allowing for a good amount to dribble around and down rubber seals, where it sits.

It's not as cheap as a off-brand cleaner, but rain-x's cleaner seems to work well for quickly cleaning the windshield and providing a layer of wax that seems to last a few weeks, at least.

Clay bar the windshield.

Also, if your windshield has a ton of pits, you're probably going to get a bunch of chatter.

Just putting the information out there, bud. If I had to guess, I'd say most people who clean their windshields simply spray a bunch on and wipe it down, allowing for a good amount to dribble around and down rubber seals, where it sits.

Personally, I find that other products work better than Windex, and they happen to be ammonia free anyway. Old style Windex was a bit of a nuisance to keep in a cab. Of course, to save on costs, you refill old sprayers, and the sprayers and bottles don't last forever, and they leak and make a mess, or quit working, and so forth.

Basically, if one needs to save money and does a whack of windshields, go with Windex or its no-name alternative. But, the average person isn't going to break the bank by purchasing a more suitable product. Of course, if one is really, really cheap, there are cheaper alternatives to Windex, too.
wink.gif

As an aside, I thought I remember having read something about a dedicated Windex automotive glass cleaner. It says safe for tinted Windows, but it's around 40% more than regular Windex.

I haven't seen BonAmi since I was a kid in grade school.

Maybe Stoner Invisible Glass (it is for cars) would work well? I use it all the time on the inside of the car but it seems pretty mild.

I keep some in my tool box to clean my greasy safety glasses and it works well for that too, and it is great for the side mirrors on the car before an application of Rain-x. (Keeps ice and snow from caking to my side mirror for the whole winter).

The clay bar sounds interesting. Is it soft on glass and clear coat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back