belt squeal - 2003 Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help....replaced belts and pulleys twice in 20 months for squealing. Last set put on 2 days ago and its squealing again. Used Toyota belts first time, Dayco this time.

Suggestions? 2003 Tacoma 2.7L w/153K

Check that ALL your pulleys line up perfectly. Just a little bit off and the belt can squeal. Even though I've sold 'tons' of Dayco belts, Gates seems to be better. Also, many belts squeal because the tensioner is shot, just not providing enough pressure. Lastly, some accessory may be loading the belt excessively, alternator, power steering pump, a/c compressor.

partspro said:
Check that ALL your pulleys line up perfectly. Just a little bit off and the belt can squeal. Even though I've sold 'tons' of Dayco belts, Gates seems to be better. Also, many belts squeal because the tensioner is shot, just not providing enough pressure. Lastly, some accessory may be loading the belt excessively, alternator, power steering pump, a/c compressor. [/quote.

Good advice, obviously a lot of experience/knowledge.

I would look closely at the tensioner.

Mechanic replaced small idler wheels (1 near power steering pump and other near A/C compressor) with belts on both occasions.

Notes: Before the last belts were replaced, I had noticed some hard dark rubber build up in the front groove of main pulley on the bottom front. I was able to use my knife and scrape some loose....looked to size of a pencil lead. The PS pump sweats some and there is some greasy build up on it. Culprit?

Last edited:
I have dealt with numerous squeaky belts by putting a few dabs of SILICONE grease (not petroleum based grease) along the RIBBED side of a serpentine belt. This solved a problem for a friend that had the same issue you have. With the engine OFF, put a pea sized dab on the ribs about every 6-10", then turn the engine on and let it idel. Should clear right up, won't allow the belt to slip and can solve the problem for MANY months.

Originally Posted By: little bob
Mechanic replaced small idler wheels (1 near power steering pump and other near A/C compressor) with belts on both occasions.

Notes: Before the last belts were replaced, I had noticed some hard dark rubber build up in the front groove of main pulley on the bottom front. I was able to use my knife and scrape some loose....looked to size of a pencil lead. The PS pump sweats some and there is some greasy build up on it. Culprit?

Coolant is notoriously slippery. Even a few drops can make your belts squeal.

I'd address this leak and see hot it does.

I had that, squeal turned out to be old PS fluid causing the pump to bind up in the cold. Went away once I started turkey basting the PS fluid. Swapped the Dex III with Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF. All good now. Stopped a small wet spot on the rack too!

Same issue here on my 2004 with a 2.7 engine. Had a P/S leak. Replaced the pump and replaced all 3 belts and the noise has never come back.

brelandt....did your PS pump leak down enough so that you could tell it on the stick? Mine appears to keep the same fluid level but the outside and top of the tank looks like its somewhat damp or sweating. And mixed with the dust over time, it'll get a layer of black crud on it. It cleans up easy enough...just messy.

FWIW...The first PS pump failed 2+/- years after I bought the truck new and was fixed under warranty. Are Toyo PS pumps known for failing like this? Never had one go out on any of the other cars and trucks (2 were Toyotas) I've had.

Originally Posted By: little bob
brelandt....did your PS pump leak down enough so that you could tell it on the stick? Mine appears to keep the same fluid level but the outside and top of the tank looks like its somewhat damp or sweating. And mixed with the dust over time, it'll get a layer of black crud on it. It cleans up easy enough...just messy.

FWIW...The first PS pump failed 2+/- years after I bought the truck new and was fixed under warranty. Are Toyo PS pumps known for failing like this? Never had one go out on any of the other cars and trucks (2 were Toyotas) I've had.

Your seems normal. Mine was pouring out from the main seal around the pulley's shaft. The seal is cheap. I bought one infact but could not find the time to tear the pump down. So went with a reman from World Pac. Works perfectly. The condition you just explained is normal.

I bought my belts from Rock Auto. I think I bought Gates but can't remember. I also replaced the A/C tension pulley. It's been about 40K and 1 year later and no issues. You need to tension the belts fairly tight as well. I change belts all day long at work and the first dozen I did came back in a day or two from squealing. Since then I tighten them a little more. Not overly tight mind you but enough to keep them from screaming.

Oil and other elements on the belt seem to kill them. Will replace mine in a few months when I hit 50K on them.

To answer your Q about Toyo pumps. Nope they seem to hold up just as well as brand B and C. Racks and pressure hose tend to fail more often. We just got lucky I guess?

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be asking Santa for a PS pump in my stocking. I'll try cleaning up the crud and tightening the belts and see if I can get by for awhile...

Thanks brelandt and everybody! Merry Christmas.

Originally Posted By: partspro
Check that ALL your pulleys line up perfectly. Just a little bit off and the belt can squeal. Even though I've sold 'tons' of Dayco belts, Gates seems to be better. Also, many belts squeal because the tensioner is shot, just not providing enough pressure. Lastly, some accessory may be loading the belt excessively, alternator, power steering pump, a/c compressor.

What makes the Gates belts better?

I've noticed in many apps, the Gates belt tends to be 1/2 to 2/3" longer than Dayco or Bando; I cannot imagine this being beneficial on the long-run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back