local tire store will not mount my mail order tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I understand the reasoning, however buying things online will just increase, not decrease. I do not mind if he charges a fair mount & balance price.

But it does leave me with somewhat of a bad feeling. While I have not been a regular customer for 20 years, I have bought trailer tires & rims from him, and had him fix flats and do rotations.

Maybe a new kind of shop will evolve that just does mounts & balances & rotations and needs no inventory.

Well, it's their shop and their policy I guess.

Where did you buy the tires from? TR has a list of recommended installers on their site. If they'll mount tires ordered from TR, they'll probably mount tires ordered from anywhere else as well, in case you're looking for a shop...

maybe he does not want to be responsible for damage to the tire if thats the reason than i can understand but if he is mad you ordered them online and got a better deal than dont use him again for anything.
who did you mail order them from did you have to pick them up from a dealer or did they come from ups

Last edited:
For years,I had success getting new car take-offs from craigslist and getting them mounted at local tire places. One by one they stopped doing it; citing liability: "if we install it and it causes an accident, we're responsible." Local Goodyear will mount tirerack tires, but nothing that you carry in.

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-tire-changer-69686.html

image_20555.jpg

Got $40?
laugh.gif

Once they're mounted you can take them anywhere for balancing. Walmart is six bucks, IIRC.

I bought some new tires and took them to a Firestone place and they wanted to over charge me. Said that was there policy to charge $40 to mount and $40 to balance a carry in tire.

We no longer give them a price break if they bring in a Radiator or AC hose to be made.

Donald, where in upstate NY are you? If you're near Rochester, Lifeline Tire will mount mail orders for you. They mounted/balanced the set that's currently on my Jeep (and did a good job). Came out to $100, IIRC (mount and balance 5 tires and dispose of the old ones).

I can get them mounted not a problem. I am near Albany and we call it upstate.

I am not buying the liability story. What about when they patch a tire or remount used snows/summer tires? Certainly there is liability there.

If they ruin a tire with one winter on it won't you expect them to make good even if it was only a $15 mount?

Originally Posted By: Chris142

We no longer give them a price break if they bring in a Radiator or AC hose to be made.

Atta boy!
It's funny how stores will do everything they can to cut their costs, but can't understand why everybody else is trying to cut expenses also. An old high school buddy runs a tire shop near me and mounted some tires that I bought online. I normally don't do online tire sales, but it was for a set of 215/75/R14 tires. Ford stopped using that size back in '97 and the local stores seem to think they are now worth their weight in gold. Even with his mounting and balancing fee, I saved a bunch of bucks.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I am not buying the liability story.

I can somewhat see their side of it. If they sell you one of their own tires and it has a defect, they turn it back to their suppliers. If they mount one of your tires and it has a hole in the sidewall, you would blame them for ruining your tire and they would probably have to buy you a new one. I'm just sayin'.

Donald, I've run into the same thing in the Buffalo area. Mail-ordered a new set of Kumhos for my Cobalt ~3yrs back. The fancy tire shops wouldn't have anything to do with installing new tires that were not purchased from them. One shop had no-one in it even, and I was a cash customer!

The Cooper tire place that I used for years mounted/balanced them no questions asked.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Donald

I am not buying the liability story.

I can somewhat see their side of it. If they sell you one of their own tires and it has a defect, they turn it back to their suppliers. If they mount one of your tires and it has a hole in the sidewall, you would blame them for ruining your tire and they would probably have to buy you a new one. I'm just sayin'.

At work, we no longer allow customer to bring their own parts in. People would go online and buy RockAuto's $12 ball joints. Three weeks later they would be back with two bald front tires and a broken ball joint expecting us to take care of them. It isnt worth it - even just to help them out.

sams club has a giant sign saying they mount your tires no matter where you buy them.

Originally Posted By: Rand
sams club has a giant sign saying they mount your tires no matter where you buy them.

Thats odd. I was in there a few years back and they said no.

well its hardly something I'd make up (no reason to?)

next time I go ill photo it.

I dont go there often though.

When I mounted my Mickey Thompson Claws (150 lbs ea), I gave each kid a $10 tip for their trouble (it took two kids to pick up one tire).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back