clutch slip when cold? or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove the 'rolla today and when shifting to 2nd and applying throttle, it felt as if the car was dragging then all of the sudden let loose and free'd up if that makes sense. I haven't drove the car in 3-4 days and it does have 185K on it, clutch age unknown. It got better as I drove and by about 5 miles into the trip all was better. It did it again once when I left my destination after sitting for 4.5 hrs. PS: it was 53*F here today outside.

The brake fluid in the hydraulic clutch system can get thicker in cold weather and delay release of the master.It can act like your dragging your foot on the pedal.This usually only lasts for the first few clutch disengagements.

If it was thick fluid, the symptoms would be the opposite of what occurred.

Is this the clutch slipping? Or a bog in the engine that suddenly goes away?

Def not the engine, only happens in 2nd gear. If clutched she'll rev away freely. From what I gather, a slipping clutch will overrev without movement, mine was the opposite. Like a drag or bog.

I doubt its the hydraulic fluid causing the problem, if it were they wouldn't use it in braking systems. The first thing to do is determine if the clutch is actually slipping. It's a little tough with a 4 cyl engine because they don't have a lot of torque. Any easy test is to drive and shift normally, get up to about 25 mph in third gear, shift into 4th and punch it out watching the tach. With an engine with a little more power I'd run up to 25-30 mph and shift into OD, and punch it out. If its slipping you'll know, by sound [no tach engine will race] or simply watching your tach your rpms will jump up and speed won't increase. To me it sounds like a bog in the engine. Is a caliper/calipers hanging up?

it only happened for a few first cold miles after the car sat for a week. It has since Sunday now and I will try driving again tonite and report what happens. It is sunny and 45*F here today.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
it only happened for a few first cold miles after the car sat for a week. It has since Sunday now and I will try driving again tonite and report what happens. It is sunny and 45*F here today.
It drove 100% fine yesterday afternoon.

My cars with manual transmissions can have strange "bogging" symptoms when cold for the first few shifts. I never notice this in my automatics. I feel like its a function of the colder weather, the car warming up, the ICV trying to keep up with a quickly opening/closing throttle and less constant load on the engine as there would be with an automatic transmission.

Or with that many miles, maybe your clutch is on its way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back