Lucas Oil Stabilizer??

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the heck is that stuff?
Guy @ auto parts store was really pushing it hard. The bottle makes numerous claims (e.g. "pure petroleum," "keep that engine alive," "Increa. Compression," etc)

Burning too much oil? If your using synthetic, up the oil grade. Still burning, switch to conventional using your normal oil grade. If using conventional, switch to a high-mileage oil. If that doesnt work, use a conventional high-mileage with a higher grade.

Synthetic
5w-30 --> 5w-40
5w-20 --> 5w-30

Conventional
5w-30 --> 10w-40
5w-20 --> 5w-30

Last edited:
I have seen them push Lucas products at different stores in my area. The pitch I get reminds me of when I worked at MC Sporting Goods when I was just out of high school. I could sell you any fishing pole in the store but if I got you to buy a Shakespeare Ugly Stick fishing pole I got an extra $1.50 added to my pay check.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Burning too much oil? If your using synthetic, up the oil grade. Still burning, switch to conventional using your normal oil grade. If using conventional, switch to a high-mileage oil. If that doesnt work, use a conventional high-mileage with a higher grade.

Synthetic
5w-30 --> 5w-40
5w-20 --> 5w-30

Conventional
5w-30 --> 10w-40
5w-20 --> 5w-30

Very good advice, oil thickners are only good for one thing and that is selling badly worn rattly engines. An engine run on thick oil will sound good when warmed up, but suffer horrific cold start wear, because you might well change an 0/40 into a 20/60, which is not good news in winter. Before buying a used car from a dealer in the old days, I used to check their rubbish bins for empty STP cans and not go near a car that had already been warmed up, just in case it was a cold start piston slapper.
Don't be tempted by the snake oil salesmen, just find a better oil.

It's for diesel engines. Thinner Lucas full synthetic oil stabilizer is for gasoline engines. They are for noisy worn out engines.

Originally Posted By: ukmastermind
Guy @ auto parts store was really pushing it hard. The bottle makes numerous claims (e.g. "pure petroleum," "keep that engine alive," "Increa. Compression," etc)

Lucas... is a straight 80-weight Group 1 "oil." It is thick as [censored]. It SAYS it has those benefits.. Now, I have put it in engines that people believe like thicker oil (there are some that do) and it SEEMS to help.. it is basically an oil thickener, and it is supposed to fill in things in cylinders, etc. and "stick" to things, like a Group V (5) oil would.

Many say it does more harm than good.. However, when I added it to engines, I *think* it made it run smoother..

It is not until you get very, very in depth to motor oil application that you begin to question what, if any, "benefit" it has.

In an older, worn, beat-up engine, it thickens the oil, and therefore makes it run better.
If added to older oil, (perhaps sheared?) - It thickens it back up.
Whether or not thicker oil is better, is the issue.

And the sales guy was tasked with seeing if he could "move" some of it.. I actually avoid parts stores now.. I got sick of the LIES. And the pressure. (I come in to look, browse, and buy what I need, if it is good and priced right. 9 times out of 10, it isn't.. so, I shop online.)
49.gif

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Originally Posted By: ukmastermind

Lucas... is a straight 80-weight Group 1 "oil." It is thick as [censored]. It SAYS it has those benefits.. Now, I have put it in engines that people believe like thicker oil (there are some that do) and it SEEMS to help.. it is basically an oil thickener, and it is supposed to fill in things in cylinders, etc. and "stick" to things, like a Group V (5) oil would.

Many say it does more harm than good.. However, when I added it to engines, I *think* it made it run smoother..

It is not until you get very, very in depth to motor oil application that you begin to question what, if any, "benefit" it has.

In an older, worn, beat-up engine, it thickens the oil, and therefore makes it run better.
If added to older oil, (perhaps sheared?) - It thickens it back up.
Whether or not thicker oil is better, is the issue.

And the sales guy was tasked with seeing if he could "move" some of it.. I actually avoid parts stores now.. I got sick of the LIES. And the pressure. (I come in to look, browse, and buy what I need, if it is good and priced right. 9 times out of 10, it isn't.. so, I shop online.)
49.gif

Don't confuse sound with what might be good for an engine. If you thicken up an oil you will slow down the flow and in particular starve the bearings of oil during a cold start. Most engines that fail in a big way sound just fine before something terminal siezes or brakes in a big way.

Yea, I ran it.

I was shocked at the amount of foam-type-stuff that it produced. I initially thought that I had a head gasket leaking - it was that bad.

Well they got it right with "Pure Petroleum". As GearheadTool stated it's just a Group 1 brightstock without any additives. You'd be better off buying a quart of racing straight 60 or 70 weight, at least it'd have some AW additives.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Yea, I ran it.

I was shocked at the amount of foam-type-stuff that it produced. I initially thought that I had a head gasket leaking - it was that bad.

Soap bubbles come out of it when squeezed when poured.

Lucas is a good product for the right car......like an old oil burner or something. It does its job which is thicken the oil and add detergents. Some guys around here like running it in dirt trackers and the local engine shop says the bearing look good after running it for a season..........but so do the bearings in engines that run 20/50. Its not for a newer car in myy opinion

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Lucas is a good product for the right car......like an old oil burner or something. It does its job which is thicken the oil and add detergents. Some guys around here like running it in dirt trackers and the local engine shop says the bearing look good after running it for a season..........but so do the bearings in engines that run 20/50. Its not for a newer car in myy opinion

Dodgy used car salesmen think it's great too and they love the way it slences a rattler. They only use it in engines as fine sawdust works better for a noisy gearbox.

Very Interesting! I was buying a case of MB1 5w-30 and got to chatting with the sales guy. I told him I had 126k mi, on my car and a bit of clatter when I start the engine in the morning and he went on & on about how I must use Lucas for a million + reasons.

The Lucas Oil in the demo on the counter looked pretty darn thick

Originally Posted By: jorton
It's for diesel engines. Thinner Lucas full synthetic oil stabilizer is for gasoline engines. They are for noisy worn out engines.

Is this comment for real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back