Removing intake resinator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Pay no attention to the ignorant comments by dwcopple and overkill.
I am an expert on these cars - they have no clue here.
39.gif

Which one do you consider he 'second' resonator?
The one at the air filter housing will open up a hole to breathe through - the stock snorkel alone is a cork.
The one near the throttle body is restrictive and convoluted - it helps breathing with a plain pipe there instead.

Pay no attention to the ignorant comments by dwcopple and overkill.
I am an expert on these cars - they have no clue here.

Well SORRY Mr. Expert! I didn't realize my knowledge on cars was excepted from this particular model
crazy2.gif

Are you honestly arguing that the intake won't be louder with the resonators removed?

Because, while I'm obviously no match for your clearly vast and superior knowledge on this particular car, I've removed enough air silencers from vehicles in general that I'm going to argue that you are out to lunch here.

That being said, I'd LOVE to see some before/after dyno results with the silencers installed and removed. Because I bet the noise increase is bigger than the power increase, particularly if the 2HP cited in the OP is accurate.

I'm not arguing against pulling silencers from the air intake tract (the Expedition had a similar scenario with like a 1" horn feeding the airbox that is now a 2.5" piece of pipe) but they most DEFINITELY make the engine SOUND more "woken up" than it actually is.

^^^Oh so true. CAI's are all about the noise, and generally a late model car needs specific tuning to get extremely small gains.

But it is great to get vehicle specific advice as this mod varies HUGELY from model to model.

Darn, what's with the flames? I should have brought my fire suit!

I've removed the resonators ahead of the airbox on the two GM cars I've owned. Both times throttle response was improved a hair, and it made a little more noise at higher throttle positions. The Buick's 3800 V6 roared through its resonator-deleted intake at WOT, while the Chevy's Ecotec lets the turbo be heard just a little bit.

Ford Racing has dynos that prove what I said is true about these ZX2s and different mods. The 'Iceman' intake was actually offered on the SR model.
Also, read the 'intake shootout' for Zx2.
And check out various dyno runs with mods on teamzx2.com. There are dozens.

So with all this specific info, and my own empirical experiences, no one can say it only makes noise, or has only a little benefit.

Believe facts or internet posers.

Ford Racing has dynos that prove what I said is true about these ZX2s and different mods. The 'Iceman' intake was actually offered on the SR model.
Also, read the 'intake shootout' for Zx2.
And check out various dyno runs with mods on teamzx2.com. There are dozens.

So with all this specific info, and my own empirical experiences, no one can say it only makes noise, or has only a little benefit.

Believe facts or internet posers.

I said it makes noise, not only makes noise. You chose to rip on me........ I'm still not sure why. As I said, I've done the same mod to the Expedition (silencers removed). It made the intake louder, but that's not why I did it. Breathing through a 1" opening can't be beneficial for it, I assume you are arguing the same thing. But instead of claiming this, you decided to throw out personal attacks.

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
When liberals can't back up their words they resort to personal attacks.

What liberals?
Why be hypocrite and make personal attacks yourself?

Good lord children....settle down.
Thanks for that advise. I'm going to try it and "just see". I think mech is right though. He has been right many times on this car, that's why I see what he has to say..

As stated previously this is wildly platform specific.

Since Mechtech owned one he has some very valid info.

For this particular car... I'd take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back