Torquing Drain Plugs w/Crush Washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOLD ON A SECOND HERE BUDDY!! What is HF torque wrench is doing in your hand?? Did somebody put a gun to your head? :)

Reading it once again, I gather:-

1) Last time when you used your name branded EXPENSIVE torque wrench, you got the funny feeling.
2) This time when you used el cheapo $10 torque wrench, you did NOT get that same funny feeling.

I am going to hold off making any further comment until you confirm my observation.

Why bother with washers and drain plugs and just get a Fumoto drain valve? NEVER a problem and I have used them for about 25 years!

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Just did an oil change today on the MIL's CR-V. I think it's circa 2006, two styles ago with the spare tire hanging off the back.

The pan is black colored, with what I'd call a short, stubby drain plug. It had a silver colored washer that had clearly been smushed good. There was a Honda branded oil filter so I think the latest change was at the dealer. I replaced it with a copper washer that fit nicely, tightened sans torque wrench with a 1/2" drive ratchet. Just did it by feel like I've done 50x on other cars (included several on our 2006 Accord with the same engine).

She's driving to Pittsburgh tomorrow, I'll report back if she calls and tells me the car started leaking oil
grin.gif

jeff

Originally Posted By: Vikas
HOLD ON A SECOND HERE BUDDY!! What is HF torque wrench is doing in your hand?? Did somebody put a gun to your head? :)

I don't even remember why I bought this one. I think I had left my expensive PI torque wrench at someone's house for them to "test" after the incident in the original post, and I needed a 3/8" torque wrench for something...

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Reading it once again, I gather:-

1) Last time when you used your name branded EXPENSIVE torque wrench, you got the funny feeling.
2) This time when you used el cheapo $10 torque wrench, you did NOT get that same funny feeling.

I am going to hold off making any further comment until you confirm my observation.

1) correct
2) correct, however, I will say that this HF torque wrench has been telling me my "feel" for 29 ft-lbs is too low - I'm a little suspicious about the HF wrench's accuracy.

shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: notech47

Why bother with washers and drain plugs and just get a Fumoto drain valve? NEVER a problem and I have used them for about 25 years!

It's just another point of failure. No thanks.

Quote:
I'm a little suspicious about the HF wrench's accuracy.

Should be very easy to check them against each other. Try them on a lug nut, sequentially alternate between them and increase the setting by small amount e.g. PI @ 25 ft-lb -- HF @ 30 ft-lb -- PI @ 35 ft-lb etc. Each time, the nut should move a little bit. Now you can be assured that both of them are giving you similar readings. If you trust PI, then there is no reason to doubt HF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back