Long OCI filter for subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering going to a 10k oci on the wife's 01 NA 4 cyl Outback. None of the usual long oci suspects, such as the Fram Ultra and Mobil 1 have the proper bypass setting and Bosch doesn't even offer a D Plus 3311. The best quality filters I know of with the 23 psi bypass are the Bosch Premium, Pure One, and the seemingly mythical Wix 57712.

Would any of them be a likely choice to go 10k, or is there another option I haven't considered?

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Just what I was looking for, if I can find anyone selling it for the Subaru.

Thanks

Advanced Auto Parts and Meijer carry Purolator Synthetics

I would buy the Subaru blue filter for you car, as 10/12k is fairly standard interval for Subarus in the UK. So the filter should be easily up to the job.

There is also filters by Zero Sports and STi (yes it is pink) and they are very good, high quality filters.

I must admit I never ran any filter except Subaru ones in my Subarus.

Back then it was the old black ones mainly but the last dealer service was a blue one.

I still have a black autobox filter in its box which was about to go on when it got stolen. A very good idea to have an external filter like an engine.

the subaru blue oem filter is good for 7500 miles according to my 2012 subaru outback manual.

The blue Subaru OEM is a bottom end FRAM painted blue. It's good for 0 miles according to my sensibilities.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
It's good for 0 miles according to my sensibilities.

Ed

feel free to let the internet know more about your non invested opinions, the internet always could use one more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
WIX XP: 51334XP
Napa Platinum: PFL 41334
Amsoil Ea0: Ea15K20
Donaldson: P550162

I appreciate all the responses.

The filters listed above, with the exception of the Amsoil filter, list a bypass setting that is too low. The Amsoil filter doesn't list their bypass psi at all that I can find. The Purolator Synthetic doesn't list a Subaru part number, at least not on the Advance Auto web site.

I guess I'll see about getting an oem filter, or look into going 10k with a Bosch Premium or P1.

Thanks

Last edited:
The current Tokyo Roki made Subaru 15208AA130 is the same size your 2001 uses, and of course has the proper specs and adds an ADBV. The Tokyo Roki made Subaru 15208AA160 is the same diameter as the blue Honeywell, just a bit longer. I use this on my 2008 LGT. That gives you a couple of solidly built, proper spec options from the dealer.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
The blue Subaru OEM is a bottom end FRAM painted blue. It's good for 0 miles according to my sensibilities.

Ed

Ha! Didn't realize you were a Honeywell Hater/Fram-o-phobe, Ed. The only time that I've ever had an engine or turbo problem is when I DIDN't run the blue can of death.
lol.gif

Somebody bump this thread in 5 years because I'll still have my Fozzie and running an OEM filter. Hopefully.
banana2.gif

-Dennis

People worry too much. I have run the cheapo WM oil filters for almost 12K in my Subi with zero problems. My latest kick is NAPA Gold filters for 10-12K.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
WIX XP: 51334XP
Napa Platinum: PFL 41334
Amsoil Ea0: Ea15K20
Donaldson: P550162

I appreciate all the responses.

The filters listed above, with the exception of the Amsoil filter, list a bypass setting that is too low. The Amsoil filter doesn't list their bypass psi at all that I can find. The Purolator Synthetic doesn't list a Subaru part number, at least not on the Advance Auto web site.

I guess I'll see about getting an oem filter, or look into going 10k with a Bosch Premium or P1.

Thanks

My guess is that they'll use the same exact number.

Here are the Purolator part numbers applicable to a 2001 Subaru Outback with the EJ25:

Classic: L14460
PureONE: PL14460

based off of that pattern, the Purolator Synthetic Filter part number is likely to be:

PSL14460

..as the box in the Purloator Synthetic Filter page lists the first three letters as "PSL":

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/SyntheticOilFilters.aspx

I have much confidence in Purolator and their filters designed specifically for Subaru engines, since they did once make the OEM filters for Subaru. Of course, the leaking filters issue is no more so never any worries running a Purolator on a Subaru, since they have the right bypass valve pressure setting
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back