Odd legal judgment

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.newser.com/story/159059/feds-...ampaign=rss_3_2

Ernest Hemingway's old house that is now a museum cannot let cats run around at night on the property. The odd part is that the federal government got involved. They claimed that because people from out of state go to the museum (crossed state lines), it is therefor federal jurisdiction.

Almost any business could potentially get visitors from out of state.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

http://www.newser.com/story/159059/feds-...ampaign=rss_3_2

Ernest Hemingway's old house that is now a museum cannot let cats run around at night on the property. The odd part is that the federal government got involved. They claimed that because people from out of state go to the museum (crossed state lines), it is therefor federal jurisdiction.

Almost any business could potentially get visitors from out of state.

I wonder if the FED has plans to go further with this.

Interstate commerce is something that can be applied to just about anything. What matters is how good of an argument the lawyer can make and how much of that argument the judge is willing to consider as valid.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I thought those six toed cats were just all over at this point?

A lot of Amish have 6 fingers and 6 toes. They seem to reproduce successfully. Maybe those are Amish cats.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I thought those six toed cats were just all over at this point?

A lot of Amish have 6 fingers and 6 toes. They seem to reproduce successfully. Maybe those are Amish cats.

The one time I took an overnight train, the cafe car waiter had six fingers on each hand. Definitely not an Amish fellow.

Nonsense. Now if they were shipping cats interstate.....

This is a bad precedent which theoretically puts every business at a tourist destination under federal jurisdiction.

Quote:
But after a museum visitor complained a few years back,

Why would you visit a museum with "famous six toed cats" if you are going to have an issue with it? People can be so dumb.

I could see it being a local (city gov't) issue if the cats were not spayed/neutered and roaming around in nearby neighborhoods, creating a stray problem. If they are fixed and mostly confined to the property, what's the issue?

Getting the feds involved in this is ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: article
... a museum visitor complained a few years back...

What, no more detail to the story? What was so objectionable with the cats?

I agree that those cats are an integral part of the museum. They are strictly supervised by the curators and veterinarians. I visited the place two years ago.

I visited there 10 years or so ago and enjoyed it - especially the cats! People and gov't will try to ruin anything.

Quote:
“The Museum invites and receives thousands of admissions-paying visitors from beyond Florida, many of whom are drawn by the Museum’s reputation for and purposeful marketing of the Hemingway cats,” Dubina wrote.

“The exhibition of the Hemingway cats is integral to the Museum’s commercial purpose, and thus, their exhibition affects interstate commerce,” he said. “For these reasons, Congress has the power to regulate the Museum and the exhibition of the Hemingway cats via the AWA.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/201...e-entryNineItem

Turns my stomach this is so bad. Moronic set of judges that have no clue what the Commerce clause is about.

So if UPS drops off a package from out of state at my door, can the USDA regulate what I do with any pets I might have?

This is extremely dangerous and a serious loss of personal freedom.

Of course, the USDA is already sending out the rabbit police for magicians....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back