Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JZiggy
He's already dead, and already you-know-where.

Good news. I was flipping channels and was under the impression he was still alive. They just gave an updated count of 28 killed. Tragic!

As far as gun control, someone as sick as this POS was would have built a bomb, or figured out another way to commit this crime. JMO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
What is the world coming to?

It's coming to the Information Age, where you hear about this every time it happens now. It happened before, too, all through human history; but millions didn't tweet about it and there weren't 24-hour cable news stations braodcasting it.

Originally Posted By: 757guy
Mexico has gun control. How's that working for them?

Mexico is having violent trouble keeping up with the U.S. demand for narcotics Big Brother has forbidden. The rest of the civilized world has gun control, too... How's it working out for us?

Disturbed people are going to do disturbing things if some type of healthful, productive intervention is not made when it can make a difference. When it's too late they seem to very, very easily get a hold of these horrible weapons.

What is going wrong with our society when there is a contest to kill the most innocent people? Targeting children makes the act even more heinous. Gun control is not the problem. It is crazy people that need to be controlled.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

And there it is. Without knowing hardly any facts, the call goes out to restrict freedom.

Gun free zone = victim rich zone....over and over and over and over.....

So who in an elementary school should be packing?
whistle.gif

The thing to note WRT this gun control discussion is that NJ has some of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. If there was a state where there was a model of gun control to work and protect the population, it would be NJ, the place where the shooter was from.

So somehow a resident of one of the most restrictive states got enough guns, a bulletproof vest, etc and went and did this horrible act.

Seems to indicate to me that gun control is not a valid thing.

It comes back to the point though that gun control isnt worth much, but there IS indeed a large portion of the population that perhaps should not be granted the right to bear arms.

This guy was obviosuly crazy. Ill bet that even if this was well known, he lied on the firearms check (in NJ there is a mental health check too, costs $18), and one of the patients' rights type things prevented the right data flow from occurring.

IMO its not a gun control issue - gun control doesnt work and things happen because there are ways around it (plus 200k+ guns falling into the wrong hands by incompetent owners each year). Its an issue of recognizing that some people DO have issues and arent fit to perform all things that others can... because the societal expense, like this for example, is far too high. Maybe it sucks, or someone will be offended, but that's life. We have to deal with the crazies and incompetents, not restrict the rights of the functional core of the population.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

And there it is. Without knowing hardly any facts, the call goes out to restrict freedom.

So who in an elementary school should be packing?
whistle.gif

Teachers, principals...

Look up Joel Myrick.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Say what you want about gun control, but the current plan is NOT working.

Try telling "guns do not kill people, people do" to one of the parents of the 18 children who were killed.

I did not propose a solution like banning guns, just stated the current plan is not working. Whats your solution so we stop reading about a bunch of people killed in a school or mall or theater every month.

It's a miracle the rest of the civilized world's murder rates and instances of this type of thing are but a small fraction of yours; given what helpless victims we all are.

The violence is a symptom, guns or no guns. The problem is cultural. We see it in a border town here as plain as day. You seem so angry and panicky and prone to violence. Take away the guns and you'll be stabbing yourselves.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
The only proven way to prevent or attenuate crime is an armed citizenry.

SEE?!?!?!

Quote:
I did not propose a solution like banning guns, just stated the current plan is not working.

Then why did you mention gun control???

Quote:
Whats your solution so we stop reading about a bunch of people killed in a school or mall or theater every month.

See my post above yours.

Try telling "guns do not kill people, people do" to one of the parents of the 18 children who were killed.

A person( I use the term loosely )was using the gun to kill the kids. The gun didn't walk into the school on it's own and start shooting.

Would you feel better if he made a fertilizer bomb( fert + diesel fuel = boom )and blew the school up instead of shooting? IF guns weren't available do you really think this crazy person wouldn't have found a way to do this anyway?

I am so tired of people blaming everyone and thing except those responsible.

Last edited:

It is already illegal to do what the shooter did.
And illegal for many reasons.
The only proven way to prevent or attenuate crime is an armed citizenry. People get polite fast.
Like in Israel where at least one teacher in a school is armed, but no one knows who.

Quote:
The violence is a symptom, guns or no guns. The problem is cultural. We see it in a border town here as plain as day. You seem so angry and panicky and prone to violence. Take away the guns and you'll be stabbing yourselves.

It is cultural. The vast majority of these nut cases want to be famous. They see all of the fame that previous nut cases get and they desire that.

Shooting up a school is a quick way to get your name and face on just about every TV and computer screen in the world.

And the media is more than happy give them what they want.

These nut jobs don't shoot up police stations, they shoot up schools or other areas that they know to be gun free.

The problem is not the guns but the people behind them. If that mentality exists then the next weapon could easily be a knife or a baseball bat.

The only proven way to prevent or attenuate crime is an armed citizenry. People get polite fast.
Like in Israel where at least one teacher in a school is armed, but no one knows who.

Israel is a very violent place. Bad example! Not well thought out.

There is an entire civilized world whose presence of violence is orders of magnitude lower than yours, with an unarmed populace that proves your quoted statement exactly incorrect. Violence is the symptom.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
The problem is not the guns but the people behind them. If that mentality exists then the next weapon could easily be a knife or a baseball bat.

This is the problem that needs solving. The guns will not be an issue much then.

It could be said, though, that without such weapons the destruction this person would have wrought would have been much, much, much less. A few bystanders can stop a man with a bat.

Tempest -
"These nut jobs don't shoot up police stations, they shoot up schools or other areas that they know to be gun free."

Good point. Very good point.

I must add that I am from the Chicago area, where 40 shootings/woundings occur every weekend in the inner city, with many deaths.

And no handguns are allowed by the people. We have the worst gun crime with the strictest laws.

I am not pontificating here just to say my views.. I actually feel sick to my stomach from this demonic tragedy.

I knew it wouldn't take long for the discussion to devolve into another gun control debate.

I'm still reeling from the fact that the killer killed kindergartners. I just can't get my head around that. I watched some of the coverage, but I turned it off when, since the news people didn't have anything else to report, they started interviewing hysterical people.

But still, it's just hard to accept the kind of depravity it takes to slaughter 5-year-olds.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

Israel is a very violent place. Bad example! Not well thought out.

There is an entire civilized world whose presence of violence is orders of magnitude lower than yours, with an unarmed populace that proves your quoted statement exactly incorrect. Violence is the symptom.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

This is the problem that needs solving. The guns will not be an issue much then.

It could be said, though, that without such weapons the destruction this person would have wrought would have been much, much, much less. A few bystanders can stop a man with a bat.
And who carries a bat around with them on a daily basis? Why is it always a fellow Canadian who comes up with the anti-gun responses in matters like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back