Hastings filters good quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at a Parts Plus parts store and i get a real good deal on parts with my employee discount, we used to carry wix filters exclusively, but as of last month all of our wix filters were replaced with Hastings filters. I have a 1991 dodge ram half ton truck that i put a 4000.00 crate 360 magnum 320 hp crate engine too, My engine only has 20 thousand miles on it and i have ran valvoline synpower in it ever since break in and i have always ran a wix 51085 filter on it.
Now if i want a wix filter i will have to buy from our competition which is a napa or a car quest store, I'm trying to decide if the wix filter is that much better then the hastings filter. Right now i can get a hastings lf107 filter for my truck for 4.50 with my discount, I would have to pay 7.75 for a wix filter from napa or car quest, is the quality of the wix filter that much better to justify spending the extra 3.25?
I took a wix 51085 and a hastings lf107 home and cut them open and the only difference i can see is that the wix has a silicone anti drain back valve and the hastings has nittrelle anti drain back valve, What is the difference in the anti drain back valves? is the material the hastings filter uses for an anti drain back valve a cheap and crummy design? Or would i be safe using a hastings filter? I run the valvoline synpower to 7000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first, would the hastings filter be up to par for a 7000 mile drain interval? And is there any other differences between the wix and hastings filter that i am not seeing?

Unless there has been a change Hastings is supposed to be a very good filter, on par with Wix and Baldwin. Curious--what color are they?

Anti drain back is more important on some engines, partly depending on orientation of the filter. I never worried about it though.

The Hastings lf107 filter is white and says hastings in blue lettering, My filter sits at an angle right on the side of the block on the passenger side. So its not a stright up and down filter, its sitting at an angle. Does straight up and down require a good anti drain back valve or is the filters that sit at an angle that require good anti drain back valves?

Those that hang down are least likely to have drain back issues. Sideways moreso. I had sideways on the F150 and don't recall any issues except when I used a humongous tractor filter that held probably 1.5 quarts. This tells you that the smaller the filter the less an issue drain back is because the filter if drained will fill quicker.

It may be that some engines may produce a syphon effect that causes drainback regardless of filter orientation. I don't know. You can always try it and see what happens.

White is good as you will see any oil leaks. One reason I was disappointed when Wix went to black filters several years ago (used to be white).

I really like the bright red Baldwins. Nice racy color and can see oil leaks.

I definitely recommend trying the Hastings especially since you are supporting your employeer in so doing. If it doesn't work, not great loss, just spin a Wix on in it's place.

problem is i wouldnt know how to tell if its working or not lol, I'm not worried about the hastings filters ability to filter the oil, more so concerned with the anti drain back valve being built a little poorer then the wix's, well in my opinion the wix anti drain back valve looked of better qaulity...
And my filter sits at an angle on the block, its not straight up or down but at an angle, so i can see some oil leaking back out, but at least half of it would remian in the filter because of the angle, at least i think anyways. I'll most likely give a hastings a try my next oil change, i just put a new wix filter and 6 qaurts of new synpower in my truck about 10 to 12 days ago, so i wont need another filter untill around may or june of next year. Unless i get up to 7000 miles fast, but i normally reach 6 months before i reach 7000 miles. I am however running a hastings transmission filter in my A-518 auto in the same truck, it looked to be as good of qaulity as the wix one i previously had in there and i will be soon replacing the air filter with a hastings air filter, the hastings air filters look to be the same as a wix in qaulity.

Do you recall how the engine sounds when you first start up after an oil and filter change? How the oil light takes a while to go out (or gauge comes up slowly)? That is because the filter is filling. Same effect if the filter drains out. You won't hurt the truck to try it, and I don't see that Hastings would use poor quality antidrainback valves. In fact many of us even prefill the filter before screwing it onto our vehicle, so to minimize that after filter change delay in oil flow. I doubt it matters but we do it anyway. BITOGers are into overkill.

Try the Hastings filter with confidence. You have nothing to lose.

Hello, Gotta voice my positive experience and confidence in Hastings filters. I noticed cleaner looking oil after using my first Hastings filter. I bought it in Virginia and had never heard of them. They seem heavier than average and the old timers like them. What more 'proof' could you want? Kira

WIX is a Parts Plus preferred vendor,so I guess the local ownership of the store decided to switch.PP will hound them over that switch.

The vendor that services our generators uses Hastings filters on the smaller units that use Ford Industrial engines, mostly the 5.4 V8 and the 6.8 V10. The units are designed to start, come up to speed, and take a full load within 10 seconds, regardless of ambient conditions. Never had an oil or filter-related issue with any of them.

Threadjack We just had 2 brand-new CAT generators installed at one of my sites...400kW each...in their sound-attenuating enclosures and with 750-gallon fuel tanks underneath, they're the size of small locomotives...I am so psyched!

I believe my dodge with the cummins sucks the oil out of the filter,,everytime i start the truck it takes a few seconds for the oil pressure guage to show any pressure,,and my filter hangs straight down,,i use baldwin,,,same thing as hastings,,,good filters.

Originally Posted By: pjc360
Right now i can get a hastings lf107 filter for my truck for 4.50 with my discount,

Hmmmm, I go to Great Lakes Truck and Trailer in Westland Michigan and get Baldwins for about $5 each.

ya, but i'm in a small town in the middle of no where in idaho so prices for just about anything are fairly high.

I might give the hastings a try... And i always fill my new oil filters up with oil upon install to avoid a dry start.

And My boss has a sinclair gas station and a truck shop all connected into 1 building, you got the sinclair gas station along with the really big truck shop and the parts plus part store, boss told me the reason they went from wix to hastings because hastings was willing to give him a better deal on bulk big truck oil and fuel filters wich is what they use the most. We have 5 different fuel trucks that we are always servicing and majority of the other truckers in town bring there trucks here for repair. So getting a better buy on big truck filters in bulk was what made him decide to stock hastings exclusivly

I would try Hastings but I have never seen one in any store. Pretty sad for the Metro Detroit area. And the only place I know that has the Baldwins is Great Lakes Truck and Trailer.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I would try Hastings but I have never seen one in any store. Pretty sad for the Metro Detroit area. And the only place I know that has the Baldwins is Great Lakes Truck and Trailer.
You'll have to find a Ag dealer or OTR truck dealer/station. There a Ag type application filter.

Originally Posted By: daman
Hastings IS Baldwins "economy" line filters,yes good quality.Would i go 10k on one? probably not.

Hello daman,

I do not believe the HASTINGS filters are the "economy"line to Baldwin the only difference is the color of paint and they are marketed differently,
BALDWIN does have more part numbers and if a HASTINGS filter is not available they refer you to the Baldwin part.

Toto.

Originally Posted By: Toto
Originally Posted By: daman
Hastings IS Baldwins "economy" line filters,yes good quality.Would i go 10k on one? probably not.

Hello daman,

I do not believe the HASTINGS filters are the "economy"line to Baldwin the only difference is the color of paint and they are marketed differently,
BALDWIN does have more part numbers and if a HASTINGS filter is not available they refer you to the Baldwin part.

Toto.

Hastings IS there economy filters from what was explained to me,Ive dealt with this company in the past.

I just ran through my old emails i have that Rebecca Taylor from Baldwin sent me awile ago but cant seem to find any hasting info,ill recontact her and post my findings for you.

i have specs/flow charts saved on my computer and will cross reference it to hastings and have a talk then post my findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back