New 2012 cummins Oil Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
And the Cummins targeted lifecycle is B50 @ 300 (50% bearing life estimated at 300k miles) IIRC. So, with 15k mile OCIs, Cummins expects their engines to have decent remaining bearing life at 300k miles. Many of todays gasser engines have either dumb OLMs at 7.5+k miles or IOLMs that show 10+k miles are doable. Many of those vehicle OLMs are predicated on simple conventional lubes.

My understandig of a B rating is different. Take for example my C7500 below. It has a 7.8l Duramax/Isuszu 6h engine which carries a B10/400 which means, according to Isuzu, 10% of the engine population will require a major overhaul before 400,000 miles.
So I would take the Cummins B50/300 to mean 50% of the populaiton of those engines will require a major overhaul before 300,000 miles.

Last edited:
bullwinkle....agreed! I asked him if his oil change habit was a bit expensive, then I told him I thought that a quality synthetic could go more like 10k miles or more safely with a good filter. He told me that cost was not an issue, but rather the peace of mind it gave him, thinking he was doing the best for his vehicle. He admitted changing it sometimes at 3k miles! Then asked him about transmission fluid and he said he had never changed it and had replaced the transmission a while back... go figure. Upside-down maintenance practices, for sure!

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
bullwinkle....agreed! I asked him if his oil change habit was a bit expensive, then I told him I thought that a quality synthetic could go more like 10k miles or more safely with a good filter. He told me that cost was not an issue, but rather the peace of mind it gave him, thinking he was doing the best for his vehicle. He admitted changing it sometimes at 3k miles! Then asked him about transmission fluid and he said he had never changed it and had replaced the transmission a while back... go figure. Upside-down maintenance practices, for sure!

If we were to do that with our fleet of dodges. We would spend 4200.00 more on RP CJ-4 equivalent over a 300,000 mile run based on that 5k oci. Just on engine oil. Multiply that times 40 diesel units. The chevron cj-4 gets the job done just as well at a much better price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back