Drain plug ? for 08 Pontiac Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a o-ring on the drain plug of a GP. Changed the oil yesterday and it looks like there should be but there wasn't. For all the times I've changed the oil in the darn thing you would think I'd noticed it before.

Oh... 3.8L V6

Last edited:
Generally speaking, a crush washer is a better than an O ring if that is even used.

Last edited:
I think that if you do a search for 66451 on the AAP web site, that's what your car uses. You could probably get for less if you go to a GM dealership.

I would get an Oil-Tite one (steel outside & rubber inside). They go by bolt diameter. Did you closely look at the drain plug? It could be nylon, metal, o-ring, copper. Could it have stuck to the pan? Does your drain container have a screen to catch things like the plug or washer, or could it be with the oil?

I try and have a new one on hand. If a washer is not used, you will need to tighten it too much to stop leaks. A crush washer should not be used again, the rest can if they are in good shape.

Donald, the gasket you're talking about won't work with the OE style drain bolt. It's like the gasket one would find on a 78 or 88 Grand Prix, not a 2008, and should work very well with many aftermarket bolts, the the OE style bolt here (I'm pretty sure) has a rubber insert and the older style gasket will leak.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back