10,000 Mile synthetic 0w-20 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is someone else's oil analysis. I'm posting it because I want to hear comments if this is good or bad. BTW why doesn't Blackstone measure TBN? Original post: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/en...l-analysis.html

QUOTE: "My 2010 rolled past 10,000 miles a few weeks ago. Being skeptical of Toyota's 10k mile oil change interval, I spent the $25 to get a Blackstone Laboratories engine oil analysis. Other than the post office refusing to ship my sample in Blackstone's container (even though you can ship it that way), getting the oil analysis was really easy and I had my results within a week.

"Below is the oil analysis report. My FJ is a daily driver and doesn't really go off-road. I would recommend Blackstone and will definitely have another analysis done at 20,000 miles."

7 aluminum
1 chromium
75 iron
172 copper
1 lead
1042 moly
1 nickel
5 manganese
101 boron
245 silicon
12 sodium
1741 calcium
13 magnesium
648 phosphorus
898 zinc
18 barium
53.3 SUS viscosity at 210f
8.26 cST viscosity at 100c
370 F flashpoint
0.8% fuel
0.2% insoluables
??? TBN

Last edited:
B-S doesn't do TBN unless requested; there is an additional charge.

If he is worried about engine issues with what he perceives as an extended drain (mfg recommended btw) perhaps an API approved oil is in order.

Last edited:
I'd say the oil has collected some wear metals and the silicone could be from an air intake leak or sealers in the engine (if this was a UOA on a newer engine) but without a TBN test, its hard to recommend going any further/less.

Personally, just looking at the accumulated wear metal, silicon, fuel dilution and insolubles - I myself would be happy with changing that specific oil at 10k intervals like Toyota recommends. But to make the ultimate determination, a TBN test wouldve been helpful.

Last edited:
In my dad's 2012 Camry manual there is still a notation for a 5k severe service interval. Because he has some of that we split the difference, 7500. Changed the FF at 5k.

Last edited:
10k on the engine? On just the oil? How much on the engine?

If that's an early change (or even factory fill) then its not awful. If the car has 50k miles on it and 10k on the oil, then its hideous!

Having ALL the information makes a big difference in interpretation!

Factory break in or not, that looks horrible. I'd be looking for a leak in the intake system somewhere and inspecting the air filter for a bad seal or a giant hole in it. The oil itself isn't at issue, but there's something up w/the silicone, and it's causing wear.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
10k on the engine? On just the oil? How much on the engine?

If that's an early change (or even factory fill) then its not awful. If the car has 50k miles on it and 10k on the oil, then its hideous!

Having ALL the information makes a big difference in interpretation!

x2 I agree that more info is needed in order to give a good interpretation of the data...

Originally Posted By: JOD
Factory break in or not, that looks horrible. I'd be looking for a leak in the intake system somewhere and inspecting the air filter for a bad seal or a giant hole in it. The oil itself isn't at issue, but there's something up w/the silicone, and it's causing wear.

No, silicone and copper is normal for factory fill in Toyotas.

This is a 2010 vehicle that just rolled past 10k miles, with a UOA on factory fill. I have no idea how old the linked thread is; can't see a date.

Break-in noise; the UOA is practially worthless because it does not represent any expectation of what the real day-to-day results will be. Let things finish break in and do a few shorter OCI flushed to rid the system of noise metals. Then do another UOA perhaps at 20k miles.

i am not going to apologize about toyota's 10k OCI recommendation, i think they are insane and asking for trouble.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
This is a 2010 vehicle that just rolled past 10k miles, with a UOA on factory fill. I have no idea how old the linked thread is; can't see a date.

I just realized the post was from 2011, over a year ago. Looks like the owner was following Toyota instructions. I don't see a problem here. This is exactly what I did in my last Toyota. Based on the fact how Toyota and Honda insists on keeping the factory fill oils with tons of moly in for the first 10,000 miles, I'm sure they did studies and showed a benefit of doing so.

15000km (9300m) has been the Toyota OCI in europe for ages. Dealerships used Mobil 1 0w--40 and Shell helix ultra 5w-40 and there have been no oil related problems. Today Toyota has the highest maintenance costs due to their short OCI. All other manufacturers specify an OCI of 20k-40k km.

Toyota has a well earned, mixed reputation.

Some of their engiens are nearly indestructable. Others have a known sludge issue.

The 4.0L in the FJ is just a beefed engine from the Tacoma, is it not? That's been a great engine, as far as I've heard.

The 4.0L in the FJ is just a beefed engine from the Tacoma, is it not? That's been a great engine, as far as I've heard.

It's "the same" 4.0L that's found in the Tacoma, previous generation 4Runner, etc. I say "the same" because there are likely small differences in tuning or mounting locations for the different platforms, but they're all essentially the same 1GR-FE engine.

Though the GR-series engines are demonstrably very reliable and long-lasting, they are not oversized versions of the 3.4L V-6 found in older Tacomas and the like; that engine was the 5VZ-FE.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

It's "the same" 4.0L that's found in the Tacoma, previous generation 4Runner, etc. I say "the same" because there are likely small differences in tuning or mounting locations for the different platforms, but they're all essentially the same 1GR-FE engine.

Though the GR-series engines are demonstrably very reliable and long-lasting, they are not oversized versions of the 3.4L V-6 found in older Tacomas and the like; that engine was the 5VZ-FE.

The Tacoma 4.0 is single VVT, in the FJ, both cams are VVT.

I nominate this for BITOG quote of the year.... ;-)

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I nominate this for BITOG quote of the year.... ;-)

Hear, hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back