Jeep Liberty radiator capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a coupon from the dealer for a $40 antifreeze change. Find print says I get up to 1 gallon of antifreeze. Mix that with water and I have 2 gallons total. What is the capacity for a 2009 Liberty? Want to make sure it isn't more than 2 gallons so the dealer can't gouge me for extra fluid.

Most coolant change deals drain out 1 gallon from the cooling system and refill with 1 gallon of new 50/50 premix. Which obviously is less than a complete system replacement, but it should be OK if your cooling system is in good shape otherwise.

You can do the same thing yourself for about $20 of G05 coolant from NAPA or whereever.

Last edited:
I had a feeling the coupon wasn't all that and a bag of chips. Like you said, it's just a radiator drain. To flush the entire system and replace all the coolant is $140 (ouch). The tech said the only way to get all of the fluid out of the system is to do a flush. Might have to consider doing it myself now.

You can do a flush yourself in an afternoon.

Just have a lot of jugs handy to catch the old coolant and bring it to the local recycling center.

imo just do the radiator drain and fill. its easy and no problems with trapped air.
you shouldnt need to flush unless you severely neglected it..

if so shame on you j/k

Bought the Jeep brand new and now have 73,000 miles on it. Always thought when you changed the antifreeze, all of it had to be changed. If I can get away with just draining the radiator, then great. Since I'm only replacing part of the entire antifreeze capacity, should I do radiator drain and fills more often?

I just drained and refilled the radiator on my 2006 Jeep last year. Didnt have as many miles as yours, but coolant looked clean so I dont plan to do it again for another 5 years. Most likely something else will trigger the drain sooner, blown hose, water pump, radiator who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back