Lacie PORSCHE designed External Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted a 500GB Hard drive for my MacBook just as a "carry around" hub for my stuff.

After doing a quick search around, I found this new Lacie. From everything I have read, they make great products and this particular hard drive is highly rated.

The price is really fair compared to the other offerings out there.

And it looks and feels insanely nice!!! The body is brushed Aluminum, so it looks right at home next to the MacBook pro.

xbxzk4.jpg

24zxizo.jpg

How much? A quick Google search shows this to be a $100 USB 2.0 HDD. IIRC, that's more expensive than some 1TB externals that utlize USB 3.0.

It does look really cool, though. I've been debating getting an external for all of the documents and resources I might need while on travel (and would hate to lose if my laptop broke or was stolen,) but I don't travel TOO frequently, so backing up my laptop at home and keeping all of my important travel docs on a thumb drive makes more sense to me.

For those who need space for media files, though, a thumb drive just won't cut it.

I usually just buy whatever enclosure looks nice and pick my HDD.
I got a nice Nexstar one a year or 2 ago, has a nice piano black finish and its nice and sleek.
That one looks good too...
I have Porsche design Adidas shoes... Not because of the name, but I like the shoes a lot... haha!

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

I have Porsche design Adidas shoes... Not because of the name, but I like the shoes a lot... haha!

Yea, I did not buy it for the Porsche name.

I bought it for the Lacie name since they are a very good Hard Drive maker.

The Porsche designed enclosure just looked really good! lol

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I bought it for the Lacie name since they are a very good Hard Drive maker.

Lacie doesn't make hard drives, just the enclosures, so all you're really paying for is a shiney metal box with about $0.95 cents of USB hardware in it over a bare drive.

Lacie typically uses Seagate drives though, which are very good.

Yeah was confused there for a second also, last Lacie enclosure I cracked open had Seagate in it.

Anyways, I've been using their iamakey usb drive for about two years now and it has stood up really well next to my keys. Washed and dried it once by accident and not to mention the countless drops. Doesn't look like it will fall apart anytime soon, it's solidly built.

I found one of these in the dumpster one day, probably a very old dead unit. Looks nice, but it is very difficult to bust open for the actual unit inside.

It is likely a 3rd party chipset with 3rd party hard drive. Lacie is famous for bigger product that isn't USB based.

Yes, Lacie does not make the actual hard drive. My apologies. I am just looking at the reviews of the Lacie product and relaying that to the quality of their hard drives. Which are very highly rated.

Their hard drives, as it turns out, are not their hard drives! lol
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back