Submersible Fuel Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone help me with the following question:

Can a non-submersible gates fuel line be used in a submersible situation such as inside a fuel tank?

My Jeep has two fuel pumps inside the tank and my mechanic installed one line that was non submersible due to running out of line.

Should I change this line to a submersibile gates?

I would think so. Though I have no info on the chemistry of the lines, their nomenclature to me tells the whole story.

What told you it was non-submersible? Did it say so on the hose?

I just replaced the fuel pump on my BMW and the fuel lines (BMW OEM) don't say they are or aren't submersible. They just say "fuel".

I would say without a shred of doubt that if they say "non-submersible" you should change them out ASAP.

Originally Posted By: GGorman04
Can someone help me with the following question:

Can a non-submersible gates fuel line be used in a submersible situation such as inside a fuel tank?

They do not say non-submersible.
I went to Napa to buy a Gates submersible fuel hose. He told me that the fuel hose can be used in both situations. The hose was $4.00 per foot. Once installed, I found out that Gates has a submersible line that costs $30.00 per foot.

A rubber non-submersible may have an EPDM sheath ofer a nitrile (gas resistant rubber) core. Put that in fuel and the sheath will swell and disintegrate. All depends on the construction and the materials used.

I used the 2$ a foot kind in my JD318 but its suction not pressurized. The previous fell apart but it took 22 years.

The BMW hose I used was rather expensive so that makes sense. No where near $30/foot but still....

What I would do is call Gates and ask them. You don't want the wrong kind of hose in that tank but at the same time you don't want to go ripping it all out if you don't have to either.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
The BMW hose I used was rather expensive so that makes sense. No where near $30/foot but still....

BMW hoses typically have a EDPM cover...

Well, I don't know what the construction is or what it is made of, it's just the part number specified in the catalog. FWIW they use the same P/N for all the fuel hose near the tank, not just the submerged portion. The hose under the hood has a different part number because it has an overbraid.

Still though, if you know what was installed then calling the manufacturer is something I would do.

What diameter do you need?

I have a lawn supply store that I buy from and they have clear/yellow tinted synthetic fuel line that they sell for everything.

I've learned that on any Chinese equipment you will be better off if you start out changing out the cheap fuel line they equip their engines with. That is the place I go.

You might want to check out your lawn and power equipment supply stores.

There sure is different submersible fuel line. The aftermarket kits to add larger fuel pumps or 3 fuel pumps to Mustangs have special line that can be submerged. People that haven't used it quickly learn the rubber falling apart is why they don't have any fuel pressure.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

What I would do is call Gates and ask them. You don't want the wrong kind of hose in that tank but at the same time you don't want to go ripping it all out if you don't have to either.

Best advice .^

Just got off the phone with Gates. The one I had installed will not work in a submersible application. Now I have to pay again to drop the tank and install the correct one.

What infuriates me is the guy at CarQuest who told me they can be used in either application.

Bottom line is alot of people dont know what they are talking about.

Well sorry, that is bad news then. Like you I wouldn't second-guess the manufacturer over the parts guy. At least you found out the right answer and won't be stranded on a busy freeway in 6 months...

my mechanic installed one line that was non submersible due to running out of line.
Now I have to pay again to drop the tank and install the correct one.
If your mechanic installed the incorrect line, why should you have to pay to correct it? Sounds like HIS problem...

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
my mechanic installed one line that was non submersible due to running out of line.
Now I have to pay again to drop the tank and install the correct one.
If your mechanic installed the incorrect line, why should you have to pay to correct it? Sounds like HIS problem...

By the sounds of it, the O/P was the one who supplied the incorrect fuel line at the suggestion of an erroneous parts guy. Not the mech's fault.

Yeah, when the fuel pump failed on my BMW last week it was 9:30 at night and I was about 20 miles from home. Blind calling towing companies at night is not something I like to do. But it turned out OK, they took me and the car home for $85 (flatbed) and I thought that was very reasonable.

So true. Nothing worse than getting stuck and having to call for a tow truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back