Change or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a new to me, used bike in late Sept. The dealer changed all fluids on the bike, including oil and filter. I have put about 1000 miles on it since then, and it's now time to store it for winter.

Would you bother changing this oil?

I'm fairly certain they use Motul 10-40 syn. The bike is an air cooled Ducati 1100.

Oil seems very clean after 1000 miles. Bike only has 4k on the odo.

I would change it, never liked to run a motorbike much more than 1000 miles on the oil anyway.

When parking a bike up I usually do an oil change then take it for a good long run in dry conditions then park it up.

I also lube up the chain and spray some wd40 or similar to stop alloy parts corroding, this last bit me be overkill but never had any bits go crusty.

I'd take it out for a long ride, drop the oil, re-fill it and move it to where you plan on storing it w/o starting the engine again. It wouldn't hurt to fill the tank up and add Stabil to the gas before that long ride prior to changing the oil. bigjl had some good tips too. JMO

Change Motul synthetic oil at 1000 miles before parking the bike for winter? Absolutely not. This oil at 1000 miles has plenty of reserves for neutralizing any potential contaminants.

If the oil is so bad at 1000 miles, why would you store the machine with oil that has bathed, and presumably contaminated, the pistons, rings, bearings, cams, rocker gear, and all other moving parts in the engine, and treat the sump to a fresh fill of oil to sit?

do not change - plenty of detergent in there for storage. Lube the chain, though, and wipe any exposed fork areas with light oil.

I wouldn't change it! Motul is excellent oil. Can easily handle just 'hanging' around for a few more months. I ride all winter when the roads are clear and the temps are 40*. Sometimes the bike sits a few weeks to a month if the roads are wet and snowed in. I use Redline, like Motul, a very high quality oil. Bike performs like a champ even after sitting for quite a while. YMMV... enjoy!

If any oil could not sit for 4 months or so and still provide the added protection that you paid for, there would be no reason to use that brand.1k miles is nothing for that oil , leave it in.,,

By all means leave it in. I agree with the last 4 posts. If your bike is has carburetors, also empty the float bowls.

Thanks for reaffirming.....I'm just gonna leave it in. I cant see spending another $50-60 just to change oil with only 1k on it.

No carbs, it's FI. I just put it up on stands, I use battery tenders 24/7 when not riding my bikes, just cleaned/lubed chain. Will oil up the forks though.

Going to pull the forks on my Triumph apart for new springs, valve emulators, and an oil change.

Thanks...

Do put some stabil in the fuel and run it through to keep the EFI cleaned and the fuel tank clean. I change my MC oil once a year in November. Never any issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Do put some stabil in the fuel and run it through to keep the EFI cleaned and the fuel tank clean. I change my MC oil once a year in November. Never any issues.

Yep....should have added that I always use a stabilizer in the fuel. Thanks

Quote:
I'm fairly certain they use Motul 10-40 syn.

I'd ask them to be sure. I would change it. I think it's better to have fresh oil in there than any quality of used oil. I don't even check the mileage on my oil at the end of the season--I just change it and the filter and think of it as cheap insurance.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:
I'm fairly certain they use Motul 10-40 syn.

I'd ask them to be sure. I would change it. I think it's better to have fresh oil in there than any quality of used oil. I don't even check the mileage on my oil at the end of the season--I just change it and the filter and think of it as cheap insurance.

That's exactly how I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back