Ruger 10/22 vs Marlin 60 vs Remington Model 597

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Ruger 10/22 black synthetic stock and stainless steel barrel at ****'s Sporting Goods. $239.99. 525 Remington Bulk .22lr ammo for 17.99, and three Butler Creek 25 round mags online for 13 bucks online. Can't wait to take it out shooting on Sunday. Thanks for the help guys!

Originally Posted By: BigBuck
I got my Ruger 10/22 black synthetic stock and stainless steel barrel at ****'s Sporting Goods. $239.99. 525 Remington Bulk .22lr ammo for 17.99, and three Butler Creek 25 round mags online for 13 bucks online. Can't wait to take it out shooting on Sunday. Thanks for the help guys!

don't be surprised if those Butler Creek mags fall apart while you are loading them. They are junk. Buy the factory Ruger extended mags or be prepared for jam central...

I got them cheap, figured they wouldn't lat me long. Just gonna use them until I get used to the gun. Then I'll pick up some BX-25's

Originally Posted By: dwcopple

don't be surprised if those Butler Creek mags fall apart while you are loading them. They are junk. Buy the factory Ruger extended mags or be prepared for jam central... [/quote]

Same thing with the old RamLine mags.

I have a number of 22's, but not a Marlin (been wanting one)

My favorite, by far, is my older "all weather" Ruger 10/22. It's more than accurate enough (though my Mossburg LSB is more accurate) . For all the reasons mentioned above, and it's trigger feel is perfect, it's the most reliable, and the fact that it shoots CCI "Velocitors" reliably and accurately.

In other words, it's the best "all around + powerful" 22 that I have.

if accuracy means anything to you get a remington 541t .. since i was bragging about how well it shoots i got invited to a match where they use high priced single shot 22 at 100 yards. some of these rifles are over 1000 bucks and have special heavy weight barrells. these guy have wind flags about every 25 yards down the range .. they only shoot for group , not score if you are not satisfied with your 5 shot group you just pay againg and shoot again.. anyhow i got told not to come back since my 350 buck remington out shot all of the big guys and with no wind flags, just watched the ones next to me. so for accuracy get the remington.. i also have a 10/22 which i use for plinking pop cans ...very reliable

I could be 100% wrong, but I consider accuracy with a 22 as "not that important" (as long as it's good enough) (and in my opinion the 10/22 is more than good enough)

Consider that a 22 is a rather low velocity and low energy bullet. It drops like crazy and is affected by crosswinds and altitude greatly. Shooting a 22 for accuracy at 300 yards is an exercise in absurdity.

Sure shooting a .22 rimfire at 300 yards is a long way. But it can be done.
I've shot squirrels around 300 yards away with a .22 rimfire Bolt action. The squirrels were playing near a fence and I could spot where my rounds landed. I used the fence to help me adjust my aim. Kind of like mil-dots, but fence posts.

If it wasn't for a dead still day and that fence I don't think I would of tried.

This is possible Especially if you can put rounds on top of each other at 50 yards, and on small critters accuracy does matter. 1" is the difference between a hit and a miss. This is important if you plan on eating them.

Just like in centerfire rifles, with accuracy and distance, it all depends on how much you want to spend.

Shooting a 22 at 300 yards is roughly equiv to a 308 at 800 yards. Except the holdover is 60+ Minutes of angle. Many scopes cannot accommodate that. Accuracy suffers horribly, and a 3 foot group is not unusual at that distance.

I consider a 22 a solid 100 yard gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back