XM-5 oil stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello gents
Anyone know anything about this stuff. It's clear,very sticky. They claim it can be added to oil and fuel. It's made in Saskatchewan.
They say it will help leaking seal,diff's,can be used in the tranny,as an upper cylinder lube in fuel,power steering,hydraulic lines.
So my question is what exactly can be used in all of those applications. Is it a polymer,ester,what can it be?
Yes,I know,snake oil or whatever but I'm just seeing if anyone out there may know something about it.

Thank you

Its basically Lucas Oil Stabilizer derivative just with a different name. If you do your homework, the guy who originally started making that snake oil additive sold the "formula" to his sons, one son was Lucas and the rest is history.

And yeah, its B.S.; I have friends addicted to the stuff though, and farmers, so its the typical "hey this does great stuff because my grandpa said it does" sort of word-of-mouth science.

Edit:
Quote:
XM-5 OIL STABILIZER is a 100% petroleum lubricant: it is purely oil itself and contains no metal, graphite, wax or detergent additives.

Yeah, those additives in every major oil are just a big scam people, watch out.

Last edited:
I'll get in here before Donald, but how good could something be that was made for gas AND oil
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I'll get in here before Donald, but how good could something be that was made for gas AND oil
grin.gif

Exactly. That's why SeaFoam is so great. How can it not be when it says right on the bottle it can do so many things in so many places?

Fuel injector cleaner just cleans INJECTORS, pfuh. This cleans EVERYTHING including my wallet of useful cash.

Last edited:
Moreys oil stabilizer was around before Lucas,and "Hi Tach" came along after Moreys disappeared and Lucas started taking over.

XM-5 oil stabilizer works great with Fram Extra Guard oil filter ! With these two on your engine(s) you never have to change your oil again !

I never said I bought it. I asked if anyone knows anything about it,and apparently no one does.
I went to their website and it looks pretty bland. And no real info other than customers anecdotes.
So other than these unsurprising comments does anyone actually know anything about it.
I don't know of any product that can claim all this stuff. Just thought I'd ask since there are many really smart people in this forum.

Quality oil doesn't need to be stabilized. Any brand name SM-SN oil be it dino or semi-syn or full-syn are so good now, no snake oil is needed.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Quality oil doesn't need to be stabilized. Any brand name SM-SN oil be it dino or semi-syn or full-syn are so good now, no snake oil is needed.

Perhaps you didn't read the title or opening statement asking if anyone knows anything about this stuff. I didn't ask if oil needed stabilized,I asked if any of our members know anything about this product. If you don't know why waste your time typing?
I'm an well aware if oil not needing to be stabilized. What part of oil isn't stable? I asked if anyone knows what this stuff is. If you don't know please don't bother with an answer. It wastes your time and and adds nothing to my question. I'm looking for an answer,not an opinion.
If no one knows what it is that's fine. I never said I'm using it,I asked what it consisted of.
Thank you

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
grin.gif

I don't know - its a mystery to me!

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Perhaps you didn't read the title or opening statement asking if anyone knows anything about this stuff. I didn't ask if oil needed stabilized,I asked if any of our members know anything about this product. If you don't know why waste your time typing?
I'm an well aware if oil not needing to be stabilized. What part of oil isn't stable? I asked if anyone knows what this stuff is. If you don't know please don't bother with an answer. It wastes your time and and adds nothing to my question. I'm looking for an answer,not an opinion.
If no one knows what it is that's fine. I never said I'm using it,I asked what it consisted of.
Thank you

COS WE MUST KILL THE SNAKES BEFORE THEY BITE AN INNOCENT ENGINE!

There are some VOA's on Visco Stabil around and as far as the ones I have seen are concerned, the base stock is just cheap 50 grade dino oil. Some cans have a few extra cheap additives like a detergent and cheap acid forming Moly thown in, along with a dye.
The only use for thickners or stabilisers is to help sell a car that is rattling when hot. STP was famous for it's anti rattle properties, although some dodgy dealers preferred fine sawdust for gearbox noises.
Thick snake oil is a major cause of non OCI related varnish and sludge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back