New MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a new 15inch Macbook Pro with Retina display tonight.

I wanted a new laptop (going to keep the old Toshiba for a spare) and I made the jump!

I am VERY happy with it so far. It is so thin and built like a German sledge hammer! Rock solid!

The factory solid state drive (flash) is very nice and the upload speeds are very impressive.

The Retina Display is truly exceptional. The crisp clarity is right on point with the iPhone and iPad. My iMac looks fuzzy now!!!!
frown.gif

I am hoping Apple makes a Retina display 27inch monitor this summer when the expected MacPro is released. I would buy one for sure!

Sooooooo Onto the Price. Everyone likes to talk price!

Retail is $2199 for the model I bought.
Apple has a "education" section in their store. Students/teachers check it out!!

Student price was $1999.
I also had a $50 Apple giftcard, $100 in Discover Card Cash Back, and a big smile on my face!! lol

So I am very happy with the price!

Now for the PICS!!!!!!

Gnxdql.jpg

GapMkl.jpg

v3LCml.jpg

MDEmel.jpg

c041wl.jpg

AGCGWl.jpg

Very nice, congrats. Just remember they just "piece together" computers, so you could have bought a number of lesser priced windows machines with a retina display too. 8)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Very nice, congrats. Just remember they just "piece together" computers, so you could have bought a number of lesser priced windows machines with a retina display too. 8)

Lol

Yep!

Yeah, well I couldn't have pieced it together and would be glad to own that fine-looking machine...

Congrats!

From an older version Windows guy - nice! Glad to see Mac isn't messing with something that works and actually improves upon it.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I think you mean "lesser Windows machines."

Stupid Microsoft and Windows 8.

Bought my wife the 13 inch Retina Macbook Pro 3 weeks ago. A great little computer. Our family now owns 4 macbook pros the oldest about 5 years old. Never a problem with any of them. The oldest one is due foe a battery soon. Great Choice!!!!!!!!!!

I'm jealous, typing on my 3-4 year old black MacBook, My wife's employer provides a new MacBook Pro 15" every two years- she just got one like yours. It is truly impressive. And...anyone who says Windoze in this thread jut doesn't get it. I used to be like that.

I got the non retina 13in a month ago. For me the deal breaker was the huge price increase ($400) and the forced SSD (not a bad thing) and the lack of optical drive.

That being said, I totally see why people buy Macs now. So refined!

Wifee has a 2009 MacBook Pro that we both love. A guy at work just got a 13" Retina MacBook Pro, and that display puts my wife's MacBook display to serious shame! Congrats on your new get!

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I got the non retina 13in a month ago. For me the deal breaker was the huge price increase ($400) and the forced SSD (not a bad thing) and the lack of optical drive.

That being said, I totally see why people buy Macs now. So refined!

Yea, for those that still desire an optical drive, the previous generation is a great option.

I have not used a disk drive in over a year I think. I used to use DVDs as cheap redundancy copies of photos, but I just bought more External hard drives for back ups and back ups of the back ups. . .

But the previous generation still has top notch hardware and it's still obviously built the same way, with milled aluminum, so the fit and finish is really second to non!

The Retina Display is crazy though! Im sitting here looking at it and my iMac's 1440 screen and it's insane how much better this laptop's screen is! It's like someone smeared motor oil over the iMac's screen, thats how pronounced the clarity is!!

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
I'm jealous, typing on my 3-4 year old black MacBook,
HAAA!!! i beat you,mine's a HP ze4100,at least 7 years old.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
what is a "retina display"?

Retina is a marketing term dubbed by Apple. It refers to there very high resolution, and industry leading, displays.

A display like we see on TVs, computer screens, smart phones, tablets, ect is made up of pixels.

How many pixels in a given area makes up the resolution.

You know what a pixel is. If you have ever looked up REAL close to a screen or used a magnifier, the pixel is the blue/green/red "square".

Here is an example of a regular screen on the left compared to a retina screen on the right.

wicPK.jpg

Here is another that shows the big difference: again, non retina on the left side, and retina on the right.

MmwRX.jpg

So, the more pixels you have in a given area, the sharper and more detail images and text can be.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Retina is a marketing term dubbed by Apple. It refers to there very high resolution, and industry leading, displays.

That Samsung has beaten with their tablet (just got to keep it real)

A display like we see on TVs, computer screens, smart phones, tablets, ect is made up of pixels.

You know what a pixel is. If you have ever looked up REAL close to a screen or used a magnifier, the pixel is the blue/green/red "square".

Here is an example of a regular screen on the left compared to a retina screen on the right.

wicPK.jpg

Here is another that shows the big difference: again, non retina on the left side, and retina on the right.

MmwRX.jpg

So, the more pixels you have in a given area, the sharper and more detail images and text can be.

If I ever need to look at my monitor with a magnifying
glass I know where to go.
grin2.gif

Really IMO its quite a bit overblown. Again JMO.. EVERYONE should go look at each and make up their mind instead of the marketing koolaid.

Congrads on the new laptop.
thumbsup2.gif

bill

PS: and just in case anyone says I don't have ANY experience with the new "Retina" (so I have no idea what I'm talking about)I've got both an Ipad 4 (or whatever they call it today) and an Ipad 2 and the displays are both very good. So is the one on my Nexus 7 and ASUS tablet. And the wifes Kindle Fire HD.... Of course I don't have a magnifying glass close by all the time.
whistle.gif

Honestly, I can't even go back to any other computer now. Everything looks like [censored] compared to the display on my retina mbp. Not saying that everything else is bad, just saying that you get spoiled by such a crisp view that everything else seems 'pixely'.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
They are beautiful-but $2000 would probably pay for every computer I've owned in my lifetime-COMBINED!

+1 :)

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

That Samsung has beaten with their tablet (just got to keep it real)

wicPK.jpg

MmwRX.jpg

If I ever need to look at my monitor with a magnifying
glass I know where to go.
grin2.gif

Really IMO its quite a bit overblown. Again JMO.. EVERYONE should go look at each and make up their mind instead of the marketing koolaid.

Congrads on the new laptop.
thumbsup2.gif

bill

PS: and just in case anyone says I don't have ANY experience with the new "Retina" (so I have no idea what I'm talking about)I've got both an Ipad 4 (or whatever they call it today) and an Ipad 2 and the displays are both very good. So is the one on my Nexus 7 and ASUS tablet. And the wifes Kindle Fire HD.... Of course I don't have a magnifying glass close by all the time.
whistle.gif

Samsung was a major supplier of Apple's Retina displays. So it only makes sense for them to out do there main competition. As they should.

And the high resolution screens are definitely not just marketing. I too would recommend people to go and compare.

It's night and day IMHO! Your essentially doubling the amount of pixels from the iPad 2 to the new iPad.

It's very noticeable when looking at photos or small text.

Our 24" iMac (from mid-2007) replaced a Windows computer with a fair graphics card and brand new Asus 24" display. The color depth on the Mac was phenomenal. Sharpness was better, color was better...it was just a much more pleasant display to look at. Now I look at it after looking at something with a Retina Display, like a new iPad or one of the new MacBook Pros, and the iMac looks like...well...like something from 2007. The Asus 24" display is now on my daughter's little eMachines SFF desktop. Let's just say you get what you pay for in terms of display quality.

Even on the iPads, the difference to me between a non-RD iPad and one with the RD is alarmingly apparent. It's the real deal. Then again, I can immediately see a difference with upgraded headlamp bulbs that my wife can't, so maybe my eyes are just sensitive to that sort of thing.

And it'll be funny, five years from now, when we're sitting around laughing about how good we thought the Retina Display was when it first came out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back