VQ35DE Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the 3.5, but my VQ40DE is the same engine with a longer stroke. Mine hasn't burned any oil at all, not even during the breakin period. Over on the Frontier forums, other's with this same engine haven't reported wide spread usage either. Seems to few and far between from what I've seen.

I had a 2004 G35 with the 6MT. I changed the oil religiously every 3K miles with either 5W-30 Castrol GTX or PYB, whichever was on special. It used a quart between changes from when it was new up to about 75K miles when I traded it in.

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
My parent's Quest (VQ35DE) doesn't consume oil, but it has the famous timing chain noise!

That's fixable, but you'll need to install the updated tensioners and chain hardware. It's about a $1600 job IIRC.

It would be interesting to know If anyone who drives normally has oil consumption issues or if it only people who beat on them - which anyone who buys a manual transmission 350z/G35/maxima/altima SE-R is more likely to do.

I suspect that is why some of the uoas are so bad.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
It seems to be sucked in through the PCV system. After a hard day the intake manifold is wet with oil and has puddles. Some people use catch cans for this reason.

I would tend to agree with this statement. When I pulled my intake manifold off to change my spark plugs, it did have some oil trickling out of the PCV system hose connected to the manifold. I've always used synthetic, so the manifold was very clean and had no carbon build-up anywhere. But there was a noticeable "stream" of oil in there. I've always wanted to get a catch can set-up installed, but I haven't had time to build one yet. Maybe for the next time I do the spark plugs (which should be next year I think - if my driving distances keep up).

My car has ~115,000 miles now and it's an 05. Driving is mostly high speed highway (~85-90 mph, at ~3,500 rpm). The rest is stop and go traffic. Consumption is pretty stable at 1 qt per 3,500 miles. If I do less highway, I see less consumption (almost nothing if I do all suburban/city driving, which is very rare for me now). Does not seem to vary at all with oil choice (5W30, 0W30, 5W40, 10W40, 0W40).

Originally Posted By: The Critic
That's fixable, but you'll need to install the updated tensioners and chain hardware. It's about a $1600 job IIRC.

We went to a few Nissan dealers, or even called Nissan Canada. They keep saying they are not hearing any noise! A company doesn't even stand behind their product! Shame on them!
Solution to you all: Never Buy Nissan Again! NO oil consumption issue, no timing chain issue! Problem Fixed!

Originally Posted By: Carzzz

We went to a few Nissan dealers, or even called Nissan Canada. They keep saying they are not hearing any noise! A company doesn't even stand behind their product! Shame on them!
Solution to you all: Never Buy Nissan Again! NO oil consumption issue, no timing chain issue! Problem Fixed!

What year is your van? 2005 and up should have the updated timing tensioner gear installed from the factory. Not to say that it "can't" go bad anyway, but just saying...

Also, is your noise just isolated to when you first start the engine, or does it make a buzzing / clacking noise all the time that changes with engine RPM?

If your noise just happens for a second or less on start-up, then you should look to your oil grade and filter. Always use the specified grade of oil (or better, like a 0W30) and use the best filters you can get with a high quality anti-drainback valve so that the filter stays full when you shut off the car. This helps with the start-up noise.

In other words, as long as the noise goes away within 1 second or so after starting the engine, then there's technically nothing wrong with it as this is normal operation for a hydraulically operated chain tensioner (albeit annoying).

This could be a possible answer! My Murano burns a quart every 1000-1250 miles. I have some Kreen on the way, however I saw this on the murano forums the other day.

"If your VQ is losing/burning oil, it is NOT because of the viscosity. The problem lies in the taper of the cylinder bore. All VQ engines have a tapered bore, and on some, it is excessive, to the point where the secondary rings and oil control rings are not making full contact with the cylinder walls. During heavy deceleration, or high rpm deceleration, the vacuum in the cylinder draws oil past these rings. In a situation where you are losing 1qt every 1000 miles, you can be sure to find secondary rings that show minimal signs of wear. (since they are not in contact with the walls, why would they wear?)"

This is interesting since most of the people with this problem usually change viscosity often looking for a solution.

I drive normaly, even better than that.
One month after purchasing the car (2006-MT) I installed an "accellerator pedal reducer" to extend the life of the engine.
However it did not help and around 26,000 mile the oil start dissapearing fast.
Set the Red Light for RMP at 5000 from the start and very rarely reached it.
After two years plus of trying everything out there, I may have found the solution.
But that will follow only after I complete the 1000 miles test, successfully.

Quote:
Who here owns a vehicle equipped with a Nissan VQ35DE engine?

I have one of those in my '03 PathFinder with 138,000+ mile Daily Driver and it has never used any oil. Occasionlly I have pulled a wood wagon with it but no oil consumption during the hauling.

I have always used synthetic oil (0W30 to 10W30) since about 500 miles.

I have noticed that if you use a an oil with high volatility, this engine will cook it off in the summertime.

Last edited:
There was an 02 Maxima that got traded in at work. Family car 99,8xx miles, seemed to be well taken care of considering it's general condition. It was the anniversary edition which got the Infiniti version of the motor. Not sure which engine code it was but it was the 6MT. Well, after we let it sit a few days it seemed to be OK. I drove it around a bit and one of our salespeople took it home. He said he wasn't sure but he thinks it smoked a bit when he was driving it to work. He lives about 18-20 miles away all twisty country roads at a steady 55MPH easy driver. I checked the oil and it had none on the dipstick. I figured I would change it since it had to go on the lot and needed a fresh oil change anyway. He took it home again a few nights later and when he got to work he said it looked like it smoked again today. It turned out to be 4 qts low!!! After that we kept an eye on oil level and realized why it got traded. It went to shop duty after that and used 3-4 qts of oil daily even 15w40 did not slow it down one bit. From what I found it was one cylinder burning the majority of the oil. It would smoke out the tailpipe like it was on fire after adding oil for about 5 minutes. I am talking total smoke screen. Obviously needed a motor and not sure what did it but that was probably the worst Nissan I have ever dealt with. Ironically enough had an Altima 2.5 traded in that month that used just as much oil and got a motor at 102k. Sounded to us like the typical cat converter backing up into the motor did this one in. We kept adding oil to the Maxima and it kept going. I no longer work there but I assume it eventually got an engine. Some of these were really bad!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back