Has M1 0W40 DETHRONED GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it seems... to me at least or is it just only ME???

After going through SN spec'd newly formulated UOA's in various applications, one can no longer continue to hold M1 0W40 in contempt for the following reasons:

[1] Produces Higher Iron Wear
[2] Shears Too Quickly
[3] Causes The Engine Ticking Noise

Has M1 0W40 Dethroned GC?

Honourable BITOG MEMBERS: IF YEA or NAY, WHY?

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Tag because I use GC in my turbo Volvos.

I am leaning that way..

And the answer to the question is: NO. GC is still preferred by us non-Mobil heads or fanboys.

Better VI with M1 aside, GC is still superb.

The Mobil spokesperson with a 4-letter screenname will be along shortly.

Which exact GC oil are you talking about?? The BMW forum averaged UOA survey showed that Castrol GTX 5/30 beat Mobil 0/40 with a 5K mile OCI (Edge 5/40 was slightly better than GTX).
So the next question is what sort of OCI are you thinking of, as there will be a difference. Mobil 1 0/40 is a fairly good oil, but many fully synthetic 5/40's can produce better results that are similar, if not better (LM Synthoil 0/40 will beat it with longer OCI's??
It all depends on the OCI, driver style, engines condition and the useage, even before you consider the air and oil filters, so it will be one complex comparison.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ibrahim

Some people still claim that M1 0w-40 makes their engines noisy. For those people, M1 0w-40 has not dethroned GC.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Ibrahim

Some people still claim that M1 0w-40 makes their engines noisy. For those people, M1 0w-40 has not dethroned GC.

I heard that, but were they talking about cold start rattle or the less serious hot rattles?

M1 0w-40 never caused ticking in the engines that I used it in.

M1 was known to shear but to oxidatively thicken too. It was a balanced process when used as directed. So long as HTHS remained high, I was never worried.

GC is good oil too. M1 may hold more specs.

35.gif

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Tag because I use GC in my turbo Volvos.

I am leaning that way..

And the answer to the question is: NO. GC is still preferred by us non-Mobil heads or fanboys.

Better VI with M1 aside, GC is still superb.

The Mobil spokesperson with a 4-letter screenname will be along shortly.

That's pretty rude big guy.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Which exact GC oil are you talking about?? The BMW forum averaged UOA survey showed that Castrol GTX 5/30 beat Mobil 0/40 with a 5K mile OCI (Edge 5/40 was slightly better than GTX).
So the next question is what sort of OCI are you thinking of, as there will be a difference. Mobil 1 0/40 is a fairly good oil, but many fully synthetic 5/40's can produce better results that are similar, if not better (LM Synthoil 0/40 will beat it with longer OCI's??
It all depends on the OCI, driver style, engines condition and the useage, even before you consider the air and oil filters, so it will be one complex comparison.

They are speaking of Castrol "GC" 0w30, which is the German Castrol product sold in North America.

Define "better", if you mean by slightly lower "wear" metals between UOA's, you are using the tool incorrectly.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO.....

M1 in late model vehicles.

GC in older vehicles that like SL and "True" synthetic

Comically, the SM version of M1 0w40 was PAO-based and had a lower pour point. But this was also the version that in some applications, would shear.

The "new" SN version, which has more VISOM in it has a higher HTHS and lower VI, but doesn't appear to shear much if it all
21.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
M1 0w-40 never caused ticking in the engines that I used it in.

M1 was known to shear but to oxidatively thicken too. It was a balanced process when used as directed. So long as HTHS remained high, I was never worried.

GC is good oil too. M1 may hold more specs.

Yes, M1 has more certs/approvals and as CATERHAM would argue, is a much more "modern" lubricant in terms of design.

Both are excellent oils and I imagine brand loyalty plays into who uses what more than the capabilities of the lubricant here.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Both are excellent oils and I imagine brand loyalty plays into who uses what more than the capabilities of the lubricant here.

Amen. We have no tools at our disposal to determine which one is a better oil from a performance standpoint.

M1 0w40 > GC.

GC doesn't have the high temperature, deposit fighting ability of Mobil 1 0w40 IMO.

M1 0w40 is very shear stable now.

I have GC in the sump right now and it runs fine.. will be doing a UOA in 5k or so. M1-no comment.. I hope this stays civil

I always used GC in Passat 1.8T! I think for that engine is the best oil.
When I bought VW CC i went with M1 and then next OCI with GC. I think GC was just a little bit quiter then M1 IMO.
So next OCI i went with M1 and that is where i got disappointed.
When I did OCI, morning temperatures already droped to 45. Cold start with M1 is very noisy, and for me there is nothing worse then when oil does not perform properly in the morning. I could even forgive that if it was 5W40, but 0W40. Seriously Mobil???
So GC is back in car in next few weeks during winter, then during summer I might go back to M1, but I think probably will go with Motul X-Clean or X-Cess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back