Mobil1 0w40 5K miles + 3 track days: Z06 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I decided to go 3 instead of 2 track days and accumulated 5K miles as well. Thats an increase of 1 track day and 2K miles over last report interval.

Two things I notice:
1. Iron is up from last report but down overall from initial reports
2. Tin, although low (I presume) is at its highest

Blackstone certainly seems to like the report
laugh.gif

Here is the report:

BlackStoneDec2012.jpg

cheers3.gif

DH

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Holy cow batman, what filter are you using?

Stock OEM. Think it AC/DElco ??

Why do you ask?

DH

its a bit suprising to find TBN of this high for such high performance usage on a car that can handle it , hosepower wise.

keep up good work!

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Howie

Why do you ask?

DH

I road race and autocross my Accord. Ive been thinking of using a Purolator PureOne or Purolator Classic. Thoughts?

Why do you ask?

DH

I road race and autocross my Accord. Ive been thinking of using a Purolator PureOne or Purolator Classic. Thoughts?

You are definitely asking the wrong person.

Why do you ask?

DH

It will be fine on a P1, I've seen people do the multiple 1/4 miles with Fram's OCOD on and still drive home, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why do you ask?

DH

He probably asked because your Insolubles are so low at 0.1.

Way to go using the previous UOA data to justify extending out the oil further. It can definitely handle it.

Absolutely outstanding! Thank you for sharing the UOA's and I would definitely take tpitcher's advice and extend your drains, It is definitely safe to do so. BlackStone's drain advice is good on this one. 7-8k would be a cinch.

Just for kicks, try Mobil 1 5w30 to compare.
grin.gif

Excellent results. Nice oil choice for this car.

Those are great results, but not all that surprising IMO; especially given the 8 quarts oil capacity/dry sump setup. Glad to see you're using that car for exactly what it was made for though
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FCobra94
Those are great results, but not all that surprising IMO; especially given the 8 quarts oil capacity/dry sump setup.

The dry sump Corvette engines hold over 10 quarts of oil actually!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman
Those are great results, but not all that surprising IMO; especially given the 8 quarts oil capacity/dry sump setup.

smile.gif

lol even better!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Why do you ask?

DH

Way to go using the previous UOA data to justify extending out the oil further. It can definitely handle it.

Okay, thanks. Any insight on the trends in Tin and Iron. Or why the ZDDP levels are up ??

DH

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Absolutely outstanding! Thank you for sharing the UOA's and I would definitely take tpitcher's advice and extend your drains, It is definitely safe to do so. BlackStone's drain advice is good on this one. 7-8k would be a cinch.

I am not questioning their drain interval recommendations. But I'm just not comfortable going more than 3 track days on the same fill. If it were not for the track days I would certainly go 7-8K.

I'm much more concerned about trace metals and their trends. I am looking for any preliminary findings that could indicate motor issues. My first motor blew up at 87K with Mobil1 3w30. Do any input is appreciated.

DH

Originally Posted By: buster
Just for kicks, try Mobil 1 5w30 to compare.
grin.gif

Excellent results. Nice oil choice for this car.

Hahahaha ......... tried that in the first motor that blew up on the track.

Oil choice was in part from my research on this site.

DH

Originally Posted By: Patman

smile.gif

Actually depends on the year. 06-08 was 8 qts then in 09 it went up to 10.5

Mine is an 08 but I put a larger tank in so I'm at 10.5 qts.

Burned 5/8 of a qt and caught 3/16 in my catch can with 5K miles and 3 full track days. I think thats pretty good. What do you think???

Any comments on the trends in iron and tin ???????????

DH

I am not questioning their drain interval recommendations. But I'm just not comfortable going more than 3 track days on the same fill. If it were not for the track days I would certainly go 7-8K.

I'm much more concerned about trace metals and their trends. I am looking for any preliminary findings that could indicate motor issues. My first motor blew up at 87K with Mobil1 3w30. Do any input is appreciated.

DH

Reasonable enough decision. 5k miles even with 3 track days, yet the numbers show it held up to that well. I'd say you could up your cap to 5 track days or 8k miles. This oil didn't shear at all to the track use.

What are the track days like? What is the service seen? Hours and hours of high-speed driving or what? Some specifics there might help.

You might could consider a K&N oil filter for kicks. Supposed to be a racers filter.
grin2.gif

Didn't seem to hurt using stock filters. Just making fun.
19.gif

Nice report. Couldn't tell you tracked it at all. Good report for a Corvette too.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Why do you ask?

DH

Okay, thanks. Any insight on the trends in Tin and Iron. Or why the ZDDP levels are up ??

DH

Remember, these are parts per million, 3ppm of tin is nothing, don't be concerned.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

DH

Reasonable enough decision. 5k miles even with 3 track days, yet the numbers show it held up to that well. I'd say you could up your cap to 5 track days or 8k miles. This oil didn't shear at all to the track use.

What are the track days like? What is the service seen? Hours and hours of high-speed driving or what? Some specifics there might help.

You might could consider a K&N oil filter for kicks. Supposed to be a racers filter.
grin2.gif

Didn't seem to hurt using stock filters. Just making fun.
19.gif

Nice report. Couldn't tell you tracked it at all. Good report for a Corvette too.

The 5K is mostly freeway cruising to work. But plenty of spirited driving on the streets. A track day consists of 2 hours of high RPM and oil temps averaging 250*

DH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back